Aiming for competitive specialty w/ criminal record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gut_feelings_92

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a current med student looking for some advice particularly on managing expectations as it comes to the match, residency applications, and specialty selection given my background.

While I don’t know what field I’d be interested in yet, I have half a mind to pursue a competitive specialty like Ophtho, plastics, ortho, Derm, etc. I am also interested in "less competitive" fields like psych, FM, EM, and Gen surg so we will see.

The problem is that I have a criminal record that I will have to disclose. I have a misdemeanor conviction for marijuana possession from college that will be almost 15 years old when I apply to residency. I also had a DUI charge from my teenage years that I plead guilty to but was dismissed without a conviction and will show up on a background check. This will be almost 20 years old when I apply to residency. Because ERAS only asks about convictions, I don’t HAVE to disclose the DUI but I would have to disclose the marijuana conviction- however, the residency program would eventually become aware of the DUI regardless after they do their background check. **Important:** There is NO way for me to get either of these expunged due to state law, I have checked with lawyers. Unless my state legalizes marijuana before residency applications, my marijuana conviction will show up.

Also important: I have checked with lawyers and state medical boards who assure me these charges will not impact my ability to be licensed or get a DEA number.

So, how much this will limit me for residency apps? I want to reach for the stars but I also want to be realistic and not set myself up for failure.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The MJ thing is a nothingburger. No one will care about that at all.

DUI's are more serious, but this is far in your past. It also will have minimal impact.

I would just disclose both. Neither should have any impact. You'll have a short blurb in your app to explain that you have grown since then and had no further issues. Should not impact your career choices in any way.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
The MJ thing is a nothingburger. No one will care about that at all.

DUI's are more serious, but this is far in your past. It also will have minimal impact.

I would just disclose both. Neither should have any impact. You'll have a short blurb in your app to explain that you have grown since then and had no further issues. Should not impact your career choices in any way.
Thank you for the response. This would be incredible if true! I don't doubt your expertise on this, but don't a lot of programs use automatic filters for things like misdemeanors? There's not a lot of info about this online but one of the few things I found was this article which says 70% of EM programs 'rarely or never' interview candidates with 'legal trouble on their record, such as DUI or drug possession'. If EM is this picky, my next thought is how picky will plastics, derm, or ophtho be? The source cited is "unpublished raw data" so I'm not sure how valid it is, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s possible some programs may ding you for it but I think most will see it as foibles of youth assuming your record has been spotless ever since.

The exception might be Anesthesia as they tend to be much more wary of any possible addictive tendencies since that’s historically a big issue given how much access they have to meds.

In ent I’ve seen people get interviews at top programs with a DUI. The hard part becomes distinguishing yourself in other ways so you aren’t just the “DUI guy.” At least you’re not like the guy who got arrested for drunkenly peeing on his frat house lawn - he also got ent interviews but was definitely “the pee guy.”

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
It’s possible some programs may ding you for it but I think most will see it as foibles of youth assuming your record has been spotless ever since.

The exception might be Anesthesia as they tend to be much more wary of any possible addictive tendencies since that’s historically a big issue given how much access they have to meds.

In ent I’ve seen people get interviews at top programs with a DUI. The hard part becomes distinguishing yourself in other ways so you aren’t just the “DUI guy.” At least you’re not like the guy who got arrested for drunkenly peeing on his frat house lawn - he also got ent interviews but was definitely “the pee guy.”
I think the pee guy may have had a better story for a urology app??

All jokes aside, it's good to hear people are getting interviews in a field like ENT with some past mistakes. Hopefully they are matching too! My approach would probably be to work harder than an average applicant in whatever field in order to provide an answer for "why pick me when they could pick someone else without a record." Although nobody is entitled to anything in this process, hopefully with a great track record, programs will look past my mistakes.

I have an old expunged possession felony and have had no issues getting interviews this cycle. Applied community psych and FM though.

Several PDs have expressed that a cannabis conviction from years ago is a non-issue. I've been asked about it in a couple but the interviewers have been very understanding.

Thank you for the response. This would be incredible if true! I don't doubt your expertise on this, but don't a lot of programs use automatic filters for things like misdemeanors? There's not a lot of info about this online but one of the few things I found was this article which says 70% of EM programs 'rarely or never' interview candidates with 'legal trouble on their record, such as DUI or drug possession'. If EM is this picky, my next thought is how picky will plastics, derm, or ophtho be? The source cited is "unpublished raw data" so I'm not sure how valid it is, though.

The article is 4 yrs old. EM has had a large decrease in applicants due to the current job market. I would believe they are more open minded now. I agree with the above. Your Step 2 scores, med school record and letters will be the most important in matching a residency.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
There's not a lot of info about this online but one of the few things I found was this article which says 70% of EM programs 'rarely or never' interview candidates with 'legal trouble on their record, such as DUI or drug possession'.

Agreed with others. Article published in 2019; since 2018 US MD applicants per position has dropped ~30% in EM. Not sure how picky they can afford to be.

You'll be fine.

You are DOA for plastic, ophthalmology and Derm if you report it on your application. Not sure about ortho. Applying for residency is not the same as applying for medical school. LOL. Too many exceptional applicants without even a speeding ticket are abundant in these specialties.

• Dislike
I wouldn't disclose the DUI since you werent convicted and don't have too per the legalese in ERAS.

You are DOA for plastic, ophthalmology and Derm if you report it on your application. Not sure about ortho. Applying for residency is not the same as applying for medical school. LOL. Too many exceptional applicants without even a speeding ticket are abundant in these specialties.
Okay well now I'm getting conflicting advice. My question was about competitive specialties, the first several posts in this thread said it should limit me very little if at all because the charges are so far in the distant past. Now someone else is saying that I'm DOA for these specialties.

This is why I wanted to ask here; I know ERAS is a different ball game and I need to know the truth so that I don't set myself up for failure or fall in love with a specialty like plastics or ophtho when I have no hope of matching there.

So what do we think? Am I really DOA for plastics/optho/derm? I know there's an abundance of spotless applicants but the same could be said for med school apps and people seem to look past distant mistakes there. I know that my former actions have consequences so I'm not owed anything, and if a PD passes me over that's their prerogative, I just want to be informed so I don't make a giant mistake. I also don't want to limit myself to less competitive specialties if I don't need to.

Okay well now I'm getting conflicting advice. My question was about competitive specialties, the first several posts in this thread said it should limit me very little if at all because the charges are so far in the distant past. Now someone else is saying that I'm DOA for these specialties.

This is why I wanted to ask here; I know ERAS is a different ball game and I need to know the truth so that I don't set myself up for failure or fall in love with a specialty like plastics or ophtho when I have no hope of matching there.

So what do we think? Am I really DOA for plastics/optho/derm? I know there's an abundance of spotless applicants but the same could be said for med school apps and people seem to look past distant mistakes there. I know that my former actions have consequences so I'm not owed anything, and if a PD passes me over that's their prerogative, I just want to be informed so I don't make a giant mistake. I also don't want to limit myself to less competitive specialties if I don't need to.
Step 1: figure out what you’re interested in
Step 2: network at your home institution
Step 3: get honest advice from your mentors once the above is done

Just like you’ve seen in this thread. Some will pass on you. Some might consider you.

If you truly fall in love with a specialty, you should probably give it a shot so you don’t spend your entire career wondering what if.

Reactions: 2 users
Because ERAS only asks about convictions, I don’t HAVE to disclose the DUI but I would have to disclose the marijuana conviction- however, the residency program would eventually become aware of the DUI regardless after they do their background check.
Just because something shows up on a background check does not mean it is deleterious, or can even be used against you. Employers usually ask about convictions rather than arrests/charges because of issues related to job discrimination. Licensing boards are not employers, so they tend to operate with more leeway.

If you haven't already done so, I would first find out exactly what comes up in a background check. You are legally entitled to see everything in your rap sheet. Find a Fieldprint office nearby and get a copy of your FBI National Criminal Records History Report. Then file a similar request with the state police wherever the offenses occurred.

Armed with that knowledge, just follow the directions in ERAS. If you don't have to disclose non-convictions then don't disclose non-convictions.

You will also have to discuss this on the medical license application and could have a hearing with the committee. It won't prevent licensing, but it's an annoyance for sure.

I know you’re primarily asking about the other specialties but psych may ironically be one of the most judgmental on these specific sorts of issues. I’m a psychiatrist and I’ve seen this sort of thing come up a few times. In residency, many people had very strong feelings that cannabis was quite a harmful, addictive substance and that DUIs are big red flags for problems down the road. As an attending, I have been in credentialing meetings where there have been lengthy debates about whether to grant privileges to doctors due to concerns about drug/alcohol related charges.

I agree with others--don't disclose the DUI on ERAS if not required to. If asked directly in an interview then tell the truth, but if it eventually comes up on your background check it shouldn't disqualify you since the charge was dismissed. Innocent until proven guilty, and you weren't proven guilty.

Reactions: 2 users

I would imagine that views from PDs will also be conflicting. Likely it will be a problem for some but not for others. Odds are you cut yourself out of some programs with that, doesn’t mean all of them