Aiming for SUNY ... my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

soulstar11

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I have a science GPA of about 3.2
And I haven't taken an OAT.
Neither I have experience working at od's office.
however, I have strong background in biological science and lab settings.
I am seeking some opportunities to work at Od's office before this winter and will be starting soon.
I am taking OAT this christmas break and I was wondering how much of a chance I have?
I am from a Canadian university.
I have all the prereq's except for a semester of chem which I'll be taking during summer.
This is my last year of undergraduate.
I really wanna get in for Aug 2008 ...
What are the chances of me getting in based on my completion of application by January?
(that is assuming that my OAT is over 350)?
Would I at least get an interview?
Which part should I be working on to improve my chances?

Thanks..
 
I advise you to start shadowing! Experience is really key! And study really hard for the OATs.

I believe that January is in the middle of admissions, so I'm not sure how much more competitive it is then, since a lot of class spots will already be filled (I think interviewing is starting in early November for SUNY)
 
i agree. you could have amazing scores but if you have no shadowing experience you have no chance. start shadowing asap!
 
First off, I would caution you from "assuming" any score on the OAT. Don't underestimate that exam. You don't want to have to take it again!

Second, there isn't really anyone on SDN who is qualified to tell you your chances at admission. Yes, we can all speculate, but in the end - we don't know. Only the admissions committee does, and I don't think SUNY has anyone on here - but maybe they are lurking.... reading this right now. 😱 Anyway... check out www.opted.org and compare your stats against what has been accepted. Get in touch with someone at SUNY and ask what you can do to improve your application. Try and get a feel for what they are looking for in a qualified candidate - and make sure you've got what it takes.

Good luck!