Air Force dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

decidpremol

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering the HPSP program with the Air Force. I was wondering if any of you had any information or opinions. Does anyone know the likelihood of an AF dentist being sent to Iraq or just being based overseas? Also since I'm married will I have to be away from my wife for extended periods of time?

Members don't see this ad.

decidpremol said:
I am considering the HPSP program with the Air Force. I was wondering if any of you had any information or opinions. Does anyone know the likelihood of an AF dentist being sent to Iraq or just being based overseas? Also since I'm married will I have to be away from my wife for extended periods of time?

I thought about the NAVY HPSP for a while, but changed my mind. However, I am sure that the members in the military medicine forum can answer your question since many of them have either have served, currently are serving, or going to be.

In my experience as a reservist, the one absolute is that the needs of the service come before all else, which can be difficult to pinpoint with the flucutations that the DOD is currently undergoing. Take care and GOD Bless.

why did you change your mind about it? I am considering doing it and have been approved already.....

thanks,

Members don't see this ad :)
decidpremol said:

I did the HPSP program and have absolutely no regrets. I have since seperated but the clinical skills I gained in the residency put me head and shoulders above the private practioners. The Air Force will equip you with credentials in IV sedation for thrid molar extraction, one on one attention with endodontist where you will do apico's, all the perio grafting, crown lengthenings, and pocket reduction surgeries you can imagine, tons of pedo, and plenty of time to gain speed without the pressures of private practice.
Now the world has changed since I have seperated. If your primary goal is not to be away from your spouse the Air Force may not be the place for you. The chances for deployment are high. Out of the eight dentists at my last base two deployed. So the odds are there. IF you are not interested in this capacity another avenue to pursue is the public health/ Indian Health services. They have similar residencies, a chance at seeing tons of patients, and at the same time getting your loans forgiven, without the high chance of deployment. Also your chance to specialize in pedo, or oral surgery are very good and occasionally ortho.
Lots of things to consider. Your classmates will field the argument about the difference in pay. If pay is one's main goal then private practice right away is the best. But if you can give up a couple of those early years and get one of these residencies under your belt you will fly by your classmates with your overall knowledge about dentistry. It's almost ambarassing to talk to your classmates about materials, literature, and evidenced based dentistry. Because several of them will get hung up on paying off their loans so quick that the forget about keeping abreast of the current literature.

I was an enlisted member of the US Air Force as a cardiopulmonary tech and my only advice is run screaming. Don't waste any time in the service, don't worry about the loans you can repay them as a civilian practitioner without having to deal with the bull**** that is the military and no chance of getting deployed in glorious service of Halliburton.

If you're really that concerned about repaying your loans and don't mind potentially being required to work on an Indian reservation (negatives: high TB rates, no preventitive care so lots of underlying medical problems, etc; positives: Native Americans are great people (very warm and friendly- I spent three months after I got out of the Air Force working at a hospital on a reservation and I miss the people I got to know there)) or other parts of the country you probably wouldn't otherwise voluntarily live in once you get to know them then consider the National Health Service Corps: http://nhsc.bhpr.hrsa.gov/applications/ Even if you get dropped into a real hellhole, at least you aren't nearly as likely to get killed as you are in Iraq and you won't be leaving your family.

ISU_Steve said:
I was an enlisted member of the US Air Force as a cardiopulmonary tech and my only advice is run screaming.

My opinion is that I agree with this 100%.

I lived the other side of the coin--my father did an HPSP to put himself through medical school. My childhood was difficult because of this. Lots of moving (3 different elementary schools alone), and he was sent overseas numerous times (Gulf War, etc.).

You WILL be able to pay back loans in the private sector, although the task will seem like a daunting one.

In my opinion there are certain situations where the HPSP is an excellent option, but I don't believe yours is one of them just from the fact that you are married. Don't do it to your wife, and don't do it to your future children.

LionKing1 said:
why did you change your mind about it? I am considering doing it and have been approved already.....

thanks,

The deciding factor was having to wait to specialize. At this point, I am not sure if I want to specialize or not, but it is practically unheard of to be able to specialize after dental school as an HPSP recipient in any branch of the service. It can happen, but rarely. More than likely, you will have to work as a general dentist for a few years and then apply for specialty training as your active duty repayment contract comes to a close. The only other factor that gave me pause was not having any idea where I would go during the repayment term. It was just far too much uncertainty in my view, but I can see how it might make life easier during dental school. Take care and GOD Bless.