Air Force DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FloridianDPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this has already been a topic but I had a few other questions about it. I've always considered going back to Air Force, as I did one year of AFROTC, didn't think I would receive a health professions scholarship for PT, so I left rather than get stuck with a job I didn't want in the Air Force. I also asked a recruiter and he said you can apply for COT in your last year of PT school.

My boyfriend is going to be a pilot for the Air Force (he has been selected and will go to training for it next year) so if I stay with him, and I plan to, I'm wondering how easy it is to get placed at the same base together once your married. Are there PT's working at all the bases where pilots are?

Or....if I decide not to go into the Air Force, I would like to try and work on a base as a civilian PT if I could. Are there a lot of PT's working on bases that are NOT officers, but civilians?

If anyone has answers to any of these please share!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

If you were to join the AF as a PT they would keep you and your spouse together. Most bases do have clinics or hospitals with PT departments. If for some reason a base didn't have PT, they just wouldn't send you or your husband there.
The AF also hires civilian PTs. Even if your husband was sent to Japan you could work on base as a PT. A spouse always gets the highest preference when moving overseas. Hope this helps!

There is no guarantee of spouses being assigned to the same station, although the military will try to keep spouses together or at least within 100 miles of each other. Billets are by the needs and wants of each military branch. PCS orders and their cycles will vary for each spouse. More so due to their initial training periods. There will be times when spouses will be separated for a good amount of time in between cycles unless their PCS cycle are in sync every single time.

You may consider joining the AF Reserves and working as a civilian PT on base.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, both answers were helpful!

I have some questions & I hope anyone can answer these.

1. How long will health professionals (e.g. PTs) have to wait for COT selection board after a completed application is received at AF personnel center in Texas?
2. How long will be the waiting period before attending the COT after a Physical Therapist gets selected? Thank you.