Air Force Questions - Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sethpol

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been selected for the Air Force HPSP, but before I sign my contract, I have some questions that I would prefer to ask
other med students or people who know about the subject.

I know all the positives, but honestly, what are the negatives? I really can't see any, but they must be lurking somewhere! After I complete med school, and do my residency, all I have to give is 4 years as a physician for the air force? Any "hidden" things like choice of residency, or possibility that I
have to serve more than 4 years, or that I might be doing something non-medical in the Air Force?

Please help me with this decision. I would appreciate any advice.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, congratulations!! I also was rewarded the AF HPSP scholarship. I got commissioned 2 weeks ago.

I was an officer in the Army for four years and currently work as a defense contractor for Space Command and NORAD. Having been around all of the branches of service, I can tell you that the AF is the "least military" of all the branches. However, it is still the military. The potential negatives include: being deployed to an armed conflict, getting stationed in a less-than-desirable place, moving every couple of years, being in a bad work situation (having a jackass as a boss, etc.) and not being able to quit. Consequences for quitting are just a tad-bit different in the military
smile.gif

As far as your residency choice goes.....the AF is not going to choose for you. You choose whatever residency that you want to compete for. If the AF has it available, you will have to do your residency through the AF. If not and you get accepted to a civilian residency, you will do your civilian residency and come into the AF after you are finished. However, if you are not accepted into either a civilian residency or an AF residency, the AF will offer you whatever residencies that they have available. You will have to choose from a limited number of specialties.

If you do a military residency, and it is longer than three years, additional time will be added to your commitment. For example if your residency takes 5 years, you would get two additional years added to your commitment.

As far as the AF making you do something non-medical. There is no way that this would happen. You will be an AF physician....period.

For me and my personal preferences, the decision to accept the AF HPSP scholarship was a no-brainer. The positives well out-weigh the negatives. Personally, I love the AF and am looking forward to serving.

Good luck with your decision and maybe someday we will meet in the AF.

Mike Chase

I am a D.O. grad who went to school on a Air Force HPSP scholarship. One of the limits of such a scholarship is that your residency choice may be limited. You can only choose from a list that the Air Force provides for each graduating class. The needs of the Air Force come before personal preference. If you are flexible in your residency choice or the A.F. needs that specialty the year you graduate then you'll be happy. Primary care is generally never a problem to be approved for. The specialties can be competitive or may not be offered that year. One option is to complete an internship then serve as a flight surgeon for 3 years and then reapply for residency.