AirForce COT Questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigLou

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm not sure if this applies to other branches, but...

1) Do you get paid active duty time as a 2nd Lt. at COT?

2) Do you really have to pay for all of your uniforms? $2000???

3) If you are at a dental school which does not have 45 consecutive days off in which you can fulfill your active duty time while in dental school how does that work to be exempt out of it, my recruiter has been somewhat ambiguous on this one. Would that add an extra 180 days to active duty once you are out?

4) How honest are they about actually getting one of the bases designations that I put down on my application?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,

I'm not sure if this applies to other branches, but...

1) Do you get paid active duty time as a 2nd Lt. at COT?

2) Do you really have to pay for all of your uniforms? $2000???

3) If you are at a dental school which does not have 45 consecutive days off in which you can fulfill your active duty time while in dental school how does that work to be exempt out of it, my recruiter has been somewhat ambiguous on this one. Would that add an extra 180 days to active duty once you are out?

4) How honest are they about actually getting one of the bases designations that I put down on my application?

Thanks

1.) sure do

2.) abso-friggin-lutely

3.) You dont need 45 days off in school to fulfill that requirement. It's just 1.5 months of active duty pay basically...so no, it's not going to add extra time. You're talking about Campus Tours...which simply means you stay at school and get paid 45 days of active duty.

4.) They will ask where would like to be stationed..and you'll get to list out a few of them..both for potential residencies and duty stations..but ultimately they are going to put you where they need you most.

I'll be going to COT starting may 28......anybody else???

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard you can also do COT after you graduate, is this possible?

I'll be going to COT starting may 28......anybody else???

There's a chance I might be there...I'm still awaiting word whether I was accepted or not for the scholarship...I should know in a couple weeks.

I've heard you can also do COT after you graduate, is this possible?

Yes its possible. I met a few people who just graduated dschool at COT and were on their way to their first duty station. Most people who are on anything but a 4 yr scholarship usually do it after school simply b/c there is no time during dental school.

Yes its possible. I met a few people who just graduated dschool at COT and were on their way to their first duty station. Most people who are on anything but a 4 yr scholarship usually do it after school simply b/c there is no time during dental school.

Would this have any negative effect? Less pay? Less benefits? etc.? Thanks!

I'm guessing your official payback time wouldn't start until you complete COT, but I could be wrong. Plus, it's only a month...

I dont really think there would be much of a negaitve effect other than the fact that you hadnt gotten it out of the way sooner. Your pay wont be an issue...when you graduate dschool and go to COT, that is when you will start on active duty and begin receiving your pay as an 0-3 (capt). As far as benefits go..you dont really get any while on the scholarship b/c you arent active duty...so that doesnt really come into play.

I would say no negative effect except it's something you have to do after graduation. However, I think there are more positives. You're a captain at COT, which isn't a big deal except you don't have to salute as much. The biggest plus I see is you don't have 4 years to forget the important stuff you learn there about the military. Plus, there are a few meetings for active duty that you would go to if you're there after school, and you don't get to if you're there before school b/c you're officially reserves and not active duty. The lectures for the reservists are more or less worthless. I would have much rather gone after school. If you're a 4-year, you can request not to go to COT until after graduation. I only know of one person that worked for, but it's worth a shot.

What does COT stand for?

i am interested in the air force HPSP, so i was wondering what exacty the COT has in relation to someone who will be doing the 4 year active duty as a dentist.

is COT for someone who is already a dentist and wants to go into the military?

its not a big deal to go before school, you don't have any extra duties either way, you are exactly the same as someone who hasn't gone yet 10.5 months reserve, 1.5 months active duty.

and from what i've heard its mandatory to go before if you are on a 4 year scholarship, you would have to have a goooood excuse not to be able to go to either summer sessions.

Is there a limited number of spots per date for COT? I'd much prefer to get this done before school and obviously shooting for May 28.

Also, how intense is the coursework/physical training?

I start school June 2... so no COT this summer for me! Looks like next summer.... bummer!

I was able to defer my COT until after I graduated. However, I thought there was a chance it could hurt me. I have no idea if this is true or not, but I thought, one student can start residency immediately, one starting one month later, could put them in a better spot. SO, now I'm in the may 28 COT.

The physical stuff shouldn't be too intense a little running and they test you on doing push-ups, sit-ups and 1.5 mile run. Depending on time and number of reps, you get a particular score. I'll look forward to seeing you guys on May 28.

If you are talking about the Air Force, all of our AEGD residencies start the beginning of August. Which is after the summer COT sessions. It doesn't matter when you do it.

I'll be at the May 28 COT as well! See you guys there!

I'll be there as well. Should be interesting...

Could anybody talk a bit about their COT experience? I'd like to k ow what to expect.
Thanks in advance!