alameda county medical center CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amber2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Friends ..

Did any one matched in this program?
how is this program? and what are the chances of getting fellowship after residency there?
I heared that the area is not safe, is this true?

thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

im intersted in internal medicine , im searching the programs in CA which are more FMG friendly. i heared that CA programs are tough to get into except for family med.

im intersted in internal medicine , im searching the programs in CA which are more FMG friendly. i heared that CA programs are tough to get into except for family med.

then you might get a more relevant and specific response in the internal medicine thread as every program is different. The EM program there is top notch.

I know the hopsital pretty well. The ED program is definitely tops. And its brand new (just finished remodeling a few years ago). Its not the greatest area but you can park in a garage that leads right into the hospital and even though its in oakland driving around its not that bad. Im in baltimore and its much worse here...im also from detroit so in comparison where Highland is..is nothing! Plus you see great pathology.

Thank you so much for your input. If any one has information about their internal medicine program, that would be greatly appreciated. I searched the IM thread here but cant find much about it.

Thank you.

I just realized you were talking about Highland Hospital....which is the name the locals know it by ;-)
I think the safety of the area depends on your perspective, ie where you are coming from. I myself lived in Oakland for 5 years during undergrad and have family that live within walking distance to Highland. I never felt worried in the area. Plus, less than 5 minutes in several directions, you are in pretty nice neighborhoods, especially Piedmont, and by the lake.

As the previous post stated, everyone calls the hospital by its old name Highland Hospital.

Don't believe all the negative information you hear about Oakland. Oakland has its problems like any other urban area and as a whole Oakland is a great city. I've lived hear for about 7 years now and grew up in San Francisco.
There are plenty of little neighborhoods scattered around Oakland and Berkeley such as Piedmont, China Hill near the lake (Merritt) Grand Ave/Lakeshore and College Ave.

Highland had an IM program and an IM primary care track (not sure if this still exists). There were several FMGs in the IM program a number of years ago. Mainly US citizens who went to Caribbean schools.

Overall very busy urban hospital with incredible pathology and very nice people.

then you might get a more relevant and specific response in the internal medicine thread as every program is different. The EM program there is top notch.

I seriously doubt with the fiscal shape CA is in any public hospital will be called "top notch" in the coming years. Highland is so far deep in the red they will likely be handing out foodstamps to the docs as payment by year end.

Think MLK Hospital but on a statewide scale....
mlk.gif

As the previous post stated, everyone calls the hospital by its old name Highland Hospital.

Don't believe all the negative information you hear about Oakland. Oakland has its problems like any other urban area and as a whole Oakland is a great city.

Oakland is one of the worst urban pits in a non-warzone in the developed world. And considering the competition from the sprawl in the Asian continent, it has some stiff competition. Really is the Detroit of the Western US. Definitely have a very different viewpoint than you, as a whole is nowhere near a great city and really has never been. Dim Sum stop, yes great Dim Sum.

I'm sorry but to the above poster, that is a gross over exaggeration regarding the safety of Oakland as a city.
I think as I said earlier, it depends largely on what your perspective is, ie where you are coming from. If you grew up in rural anytown USA for instance, then maybe Oakland would scare you a bit. However, if you have ventured inside the rest of America and it's major cities, I think you would find Oakland to be quite habitable. And as another poster stated, you don't have to live on the corner of East 14th and high street....Piedmont, Montclair, North Oakland, Berkeley, the Lake, etc are all wonderful neighborhoods.
There is crime in Oakland, yes. But those committing it are largely committing it against those in their own community and against those of their own association.

I'm sorry but to the above poster, that is a gross over exaggeration regarding the safety of Oakland as a city.
I think as I said earlier, it depends largely on what your perspective is, ie where you are coming from. If you grew up in rural anytown USA for instance, then maybe Oakland would scare you a bit. However, if you have ventured inside the rest of America and it's major cities, I think you would find Oakland to be quite habitable. And as another poster stated, you don't have to live on the corner of East 14th and high street....Piedmont, Montclair, North Oakland, Berkeley, the Lake, etc are all wonderful neighborhoods.
There is crime in Oakland, yes. But those committing it are largely committing it against those in their own community and against those of their own association.

I spent my early childhood in the Mexican ghetto in East LA off Echo Park and would take that any day of the week over the random crack fueled violence of Oakland. I also spent time in the Alameda County Sheriff Dept. so Im not here blowing smoke up people's spinchter.

Oakland is a modern urban hellhole folks. It is more dangerous than South Central LA now and far more dangerous than places like Stockton, West Sacramento and the ghetto areas of Fresno and the Inland Empire in SoCal.

City is out of control.

Last night in Oaktown, just another night:
(04-08) 11:06 PDT Oakland - --

An Oakland girl is in serious condition after she was struck in the head by a stray bullet during a drive-by shooting, police said today.

The girl was in her apartment on the 8200 block of MacArthur Boulevard in East Oakland about midnight Monday when she was hit, police said.

Four other people were also shot and are in stable condition at local hospitals. The other four victims were shot in the street, police said.

Police did not provide further details.