Alaska, dubai, others for experience/$

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lex81

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Been out of residency now a few years, currently working at a very prestigious institution and one of the top in my group. However, thinking of shaking things up a bit while I'm still young and single. Please entertain these thoughts and throw out some feedback or any other ideas.

I'm considering getting a job anywhere either exotic (Hawaii or NZ/Oz) or high pay (Alaska, Dubai, or somewhere else not too crazy). Does anyone know some places that pay way beyond our typical range? Locums for a few months that pays like a year of work? I've heard Dubai used to pay very high, though not sure if it's still the case. Also saw on another thread Alaska, though not sure what the pay is for an ED doc. What have you guys heard in the EM world, as I know many of these opportunities are difficult to find and unadvertised.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I've looked into Dubai. The salary is typically between $300-$400K/year, at least for what is advertised. It's higher when you factor in most jobs give you a housing/car allowance. The big problem for U.S. citizens is that the United States is one of only a few countries that forces its citizens to pay taxes on wages earned in other countries. While the first 90K of salary is exempt, the rest would be taxed at the typically egregious individual U.S. rates.

The other downside to Dubai is that most placed wanted 40-50 hour weeks.

Thanks for the info on dubai, sounds good but not great per se. No one else has any more leads?