Alaska FM Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Packamylase

MSIV
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everybody!

A couple of Questions from a MSIII:

1. Does anyone here have any interaction with the AK FM Residency? Positive or Negative? What have you heard about it? http://www.akfmr.org/

2. Medical schools typically have a mission statement, such as wanting to serve the population of their home state - are residencies the same way? The AKFMR has a stated purpose of training physicians for Alaska, but are other residencies like this, too? If I don't have strong ties to an area (be it AK, ID or AZ), what are my chances of going to residency there? How would I show a program that I'm serious about working in that area? Should I do an away rotation?

3. Thirdly, and least importantly, why don't Apple computers have the Ctrl-C + Ctrl-V function?

Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

From what I hear, you need some sort of "tie" to the state to be considered for that program - friends from Alaska tell me you need to have lived their or rotated in the area for a couple of months to be considered. My wife is going up there for a FM rotation next month, but not with the residency program, as they have already filled their rotation spots (they only take 1 student per month).

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I hear, you need some sort of "tie" to the state to be considered for that program - friends from Alaska tell me you need to have lived their or rotated in the area for a couple of months to be considered. My wife is going up there for a FM rotation next month, but not with the residency program, as they have already filled their rotation spots (they only take 1 student per month).

I am from Alaska and what I have heard is what you have heard. The whole point of the residency in Anchorage is to help alleviate the shortage of doctors in Alaska (100+/yr). They want folks who are looking to stay in Alaska to practice, not have folks take up a residency spot and then leave to practice in the lower 48 because they wanted their "Alaskan Experience" before going home. I have also heard that the new DO school in Yakima is pushing hard to start a residency in Fairbanks as well. That will be a few years though.

I interviewed at this program. I think it is excellent. They take people from all over the place; I really did not feel that Alaska ties were essential.

I had the impression that they really want to know that you are realistic about life in Alaska. People leave the program every year because they get up there and suddenly realize it's cold and dark in winter, and their family is a long way away, and they don't like it. The program would rather not match residents like that. In addition, you cannot do any away rotations outside Alaska during your residency, so you can't take off "home" for 2 months a year.

The student rotation slots are much more competitive.