Alaska to open a new pharmacy school by 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CVS Rph 1980

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have always heard the following from today's millenials , "if I can't get a job near home, I can always move to Alaska for a few years and move back after settling my loans . No one wants to live there and it's an undesirable area . "

I am no longer confident this move is even possible for our new grads from pharmacy school . Alaska is set to open up a new school by 2016 and thus makes for an interesting scenario come 2020 .

http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.co...aska-based-pharmacy-school-program-start-2016

Members don't see this ad.

...I've never heard any millennial say that sans sarcasm, ever.

Reactions: 1 users
In 10 years: "So I heard from a guy I met at a conference...he's got this intern who signed a 4 year contract for $1 million to work in Guam. Yeah, Guam. And it makes sense, there aren't any pharmacy schools...and who wants to live in Guam?"

With the help of this forum, we made that Alaska job myth go nation wide...lmao...ah, the good old days.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If they can have their own airline, they should have their own pharmacy school as well.

Bacillus, you in? You can be my dean of academic affairs.
Mikey- you don't live too far away: dean of student affairs.
Fetti- miss the cold weather? dean of assessment.
Old timer- nobody I'd rather have running experiential affairs than you.

If they can have their own airline, they should have their own pharmacy school as well.

Bacillus, you in? You can be my dean of academic affairs.
Mikey- you don't live too far away: dean of student affairs.
Fetti- miss the cold weather? dean of assessment.
Old timer- nobody I'd rather have running experiential affairs than you.

Would love that, as long as the school's not in the Slower Lower.

I have always heard the following from today's millenials , "if I can't get a job near home, I can always move to Alaska for a few years and move back after settling my loans . No one wants to live there and it's an undesirable area . "

The Alaska myth has been around since the 1960's (as least, possibly before then as well.) People in my class dreamed of going to Alaska and making a million dollars a year. Or maybe it was $100,000, back then that might as well have been a million. It was never true. Alaska paid slightly more, only because the cost of living was so high, nobody actually living in Alaska could save up any more money, then they would have anywhere else.

There is no greater shortage in Alaska, then there is in any rural area (and rural in Alaska, is REALLY rural, not rural as in I have to drive 2 hours to get to a major city.) Which means even the people who say they would work in Alaska if they couldn't get a job anywhere, really wouldn't work in Alaska. Which is why there are still unemployed pharmacists in big cities, and job openings in rural areas.