Albany rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayj

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

I just called Albany and found out over the phone that I wasn't selected for an interview. My stats are 36 MCAT (11VR 13PS 12BS) and 3.1 GPA. I'm a non-trad, 27 yrs old 4 years out of college and I work as an aerospace engineer. My medically related EC is volunteering over the last 2 1/2 years at Children's National Medical Center in DC about 3 hours every Sunday afternoon.

I'm kinda bummed I got rejected but I was wondering what I could do strengthen my application for next year, assuming I get 20 more rejections this cycle. Thanks for any advice.

Anton

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, sorry about your rejection, but try to keep your head up. Don't think of it as 20 future rejections; think instead that you have 20 more opportunities to realize your dreams. :)

i think with that mcat score and resume, as long as you applied to a decent range of schools which you probably did (and hopefully you didnt apply late), you have a very good chance of getting in this year. your gpa is kinda low, but aerospace engineering is no joke, and there are other engineers here with similar stories (cabruen for example) having great success in this process. if you dont get in this year (which i dont think will necessarily happen), maybe take some bio grad courses somwhere?

but dont sweat that one rejection, your life experience and mcat scores should open some doors for you somewhere! Think positive :hardy:

Members don't see this ad :)
hey dont worry Albany is fuked up. I as well as my freind, who got interviews at a ton of places got the boot almost right after we sent in aps. Both our stats were above theirs and it quite franily was my safeyschool.. So much for safety schools!!

Hi ayj,
Did you do all your pre-reqs within the past year? How did you do on those?

Hey,

I was engineering so I had a lot of the pre-reqs out of the way in college. I started taking one class at night per semester 2 1/2 years ago. The classes and the order I took them in were

O Chem I C
O Chem II B
Biology I A
Biology II A-

I totally screwed up Organic Chemistry but I'd never taken a class that had so much memorization in it. I studied my ass off for the MCAT and kind of hoped a good score would make up for my screw-up in Organic.

Anton

Hey ayj,

Don't worry too much about it. Your MCAts are awesome. You will get in somewhere! As for your orgo grade its not a big problem. Your other grades are fine besides you did well in Orgo II and you did great on MCAT.

How is the rest of your application? EC's, rec's?
Why don't you call up Albany and ask them how you can improve you application? They should give you a reason and ease your mind. Good Luck.

hey,

My only medically related EC is volunteering sunday afternoons at Children's National for the last 2 1/2 years. I'm pretty sure my LORs are very good, of course I haven't seen them so I can't be sure.

Anyway, it's kind of disappointing b/c Albany didn't even give me an interview and I understand they are one of the less competitive allopathic schools. Of course, it's a bit of a crap shoot. The lady I talked to on the phone said she couldn't tell me what held me back but suggested that I write a letter to ask.

Totally appreciate all the support :)

Anton

Im also 27 and majored in mechanical engineering and worked for 5 years when I decided to do the pre-med thing. Your MCAT scores are awesome, and damn - a 3.1 in aerospace is, IMHO, kick-ass over a 4.0 in biology..hee hee...
Really - have faith in yourself - you are a unique applicant and the RIGHT school will see that too and take you in with open arms. Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress.

ms. g