Albany vs IUSM Northwest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shadberry

Reaction score
Hi! I need some advice. I was accepted into Albany at the beginning of the month, and was accepted to IUN a few days ago. I hadn't expected to get off IU's waitlist, so I didn't even think about what would happen if I did, and I'm not sure which school I should go with in the end. Here's the issue:

Albany is a flat rate for all students, and I would be looking at housing and all the issues/expenses that come along with that. I like the class size, and I've been speaking to a few students and getting to know them, and the people seem nice. I plan on living closer to campus, so there won't be much of a commute. Albany has slightly lower match results (I think, I haven't been able to find a % for them) but they have a decent amount matching into psych (which is my current top choice). I don't have ties to Albany itself, but I've been living in Boston for the past 3 years and have friends in NYC.

IUN is OOS for me, so it's more expensive (for at least the first year), but I would be able to commute ~35 minutes and live with my parents for free for the first 2 years and then go to Indy. It would definitely be a lot smaller and closer-knit, which could be a good or a bad thing considering I haven't been able to chat with any incoming students yet. I could see myself benefitting from the closer relationships to profs, too.

Part of my concern is I currently commute a lot, and I don't love it. I'm not sure if having the extra time spent driving will stress me out, or if it'll be a nice break from studying. I also have mixed feelings about moving home, if I choose IU I wouldn't rent since I'm so close and while there's perks to being with family, there's cons of being an adult who's been making their own life choices for the past few years and now living back home lol. Any advice you have helps!! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.