Albert Einstein College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scarletgirl777

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone here comment on this school from a minority perspective?

Members don't see this ad.

No personal knowledge, but I heard it's pretty diverse. I mean, the school is in the middle of NYC and I'm sure it sees a diverse patient population.

No personal knowledge, but I heard it's pretty diverse. I mean, the school is in the middle of NYC and I'm sure it sees a diverse patient population.

I can't believe there have been 91 views and ONE response. I don't know whether I should take that as a bad sign. Thanks for your input, dragonfly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps you should e-mail their Office of Minority Affairs and ask to be contacted by a minority student? :idea:

That's great advice. Thanks!

You're welcome! :D

I know some schools even have their SNMA members e-mail addresses on the website (along with their pics) so that minority students can contact them. :luck:

I don't think people know how to answer your question...it isn't very specific...when I went there I had a great interview experience and thought the school was wonderful. It was very diverse and of course NYC and the bronx is very diverse. I am from NYC so I am alittle biased. I ended up not accepting their offer but it had nothing to do with the amount of diversity. I agree every school has an SNMA and an office of minority affairs if you want you should email or call them with your questions or speak to a student.

good luck!

I don't think people know how to answer your question...it isn't very specific...when I went there I had a great interview experience and thought the school was wonderful. It was very diverse and of course NYC and the bronx is very diverse. I am from NYC so I am alittle biased. I ended up not accepting their offer but it had nothing to do with the amount of diversity. I agree every school has an SNMA and an office of minority affairs if you want you should email or call them with your questions or speak to a student.

good luck!

I guess I was wondering about any kind of insight--whether there are a lot of minorities in the student body and whether it's a supportive environment, for example. I guess I'm specifically wondering because it's an orthodox Jewish school. Someone posted some comment in the pre-allo forum that was like "beware of schools where alumni are mostly not of a specific ethnicity to which you do not belong" or something, and I was wondering if there was some kind of story there I was missing.

My cousin went there as a nurse and met her current husband there who is a cardiovascular surgeon who also went there. They are both very sucessful doctors and nurses. They both loved it. It's an excellent med. school. And to the person who said it's in the middle of NYC, no its not, it's in the Bronx! I think it's a good school and I was also considering it myself.

Hey scarlet girl,

I am a premed, and am still a few years away from applying. However, I have personally spoken with a few faculty members, and students at AECOM. I am no expert, but from what I gather the school is VERY big on increasing its diversity. They offer great student support services, and are huge on community health. I also live in NY, and have visited the campus and surrounding neighborhood. It is in fact in the Bronx, and is very close to Manhattan, with great affiliated facilities throughout the five boroughs and Long Island.
After learning from the students what it is like to attend AECOM, this will most likely be one of my top choices!:thumbup:

I heard they are pretty supportive of minority students. The thing is don't waste your money on NY schools if your MCAT is not 30 and above.

I heard they are pretty supportive of minority students. The thing is don't waste your money on NY schools if your MCAT is not 30 and above.

lol, you cant say that, especially for urms...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

I personally know someone at one of the New York Ivies with less than a 30.

Hey QTLyss, did you have problems getting the application page to submit successfully? Ive gotten error messages each time i attempted to submit the secondary. This is driving me CRAZZZYYYYYY!!!

Hey QTLyss, did you have problems getting the application page to submit successfully? Ive gotten error messages each time i attempted to submit the secondary. This is driving me CRAZZZYYYYYY!!!
I didn't have problems submitting but I never got the link to the printable secondary. I e-mailed the admissions office but I would suggest you call since you might need more than a link. They responded the same day I think.

Finally got it to work. Whew!!! Thanks for the info.

I graduated from AECOM. Overall... could be more supportive. As an URM, I witnessed many of my fellow URM classmates at AECOM struggle and ultimately get axed while others go on to the residency of their dreams. IT has a rather big class, 180, and not only is there luke warm support from the faculty, URM do not support each other. Overall, it is a fine insitiution, but could do better with supporting urm's. PM if you need further advice.

Last edited:
not sure if the OP is still looking for an answer but I'm a current Einstein student and I disagree with the previous poster that URMs don't support each other. I have a lot of support from my classmates (URM) and we're a close knit group. And the same can be seen in other classes as well. I could say more but since this post is a month late, I'll wait to see if there's any interest :)

I did not apply to AECOM, but I have a question -- what is meant by "URMs supporting one another" in med school? Are you all talking about study groups and such or are you all talking about moral support? :confused:

My cousin went there as a nurse and met her current husband there who is a cardiovascular surgeon who also went there. They are both very sucessful doctors and nurses. They both loved it. It's an excellent med. school. And to the person who said it's in the middle of NYC, no its not, it's in the Bronx! I think it's a good school and I was also considering it myself.
um, the bronx is one of the 5 boroughs that make up nyc. so it is in nyc.

um, the bronx is one of the 5 boroughs that make up nyc. so it is in nyc.
I was about to post the same reply. It's funny how someone here confidently said that AECOM is not in NYC. Are you serious????? As the poster above me made it clear to you NYC comprises of the Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island and Brooklyn. So yes AECOM is in New York City. I was personally offended because i'm from the Bronx and I don't take these kind of things lightly.lol

I was about to post the same reply. It's funny how someone here confidently said that AECOM is not in NYC. Are you serious????? As the poster above me made it clear to you NYC comprises of the Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island and Brooklyn. So yes AECOM is in New York City. I was personally offended because i'm from the Bronx and I don't take these kind of things lightly.lol

True but I'm voting for Staten Island to be removed from the city :thumbup: take Yonkers instead :laugh:

True but I'm voting for Staten Island to be removed from the city :thumbup: take Yonkers instead :laugh:

Haha you're just like my dad. He calls it the waste dump site of New York City. There is nothing to do there but a couple of friends swear that it is the best place to raise a family.lol. Yeah I personally prefer Yonkers..how about New Rochelle?