Albert Einstein Vs Downstate- Both Schools in Trouble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vicchaw

Reaction score
Hi all,
I’m a NY resident applicant that is fortunate to have acceptances to both Albert Einstein and SUNY Downstate. However if you read the news, both schools are facing headwinds that might impact my education/degree.

Downstate- Not even 2 weeks ago, it was announced they’re closing their inpatient wing of their main teaching hospital. Seems like not a lot of current staff/faculty know their future. I’m concerned this will impact my chance to go to in-house residency 4 years from now, or worse, it’s indicative of no funding for the program as a whole.

Einstein- last year Their LCME status is on “Full Accredidation, but on probation”, I know it won’t impact me immediately, but if Einstein fails their audit to get off probation in 2 years I feel like that could be royally worse if I’m a current student at the time.

Any thoughts on which I should be more concerned about, or which may result in the shorter end of the stick in the future? It just seems like contacts at both schools won’t openly speak of the consequences since they wanna downplay what’s happening to their program. Also I won’t deny I was 100% for downstate due to price and neighborhood until I heard their news.

Members don't see this ad.

Don’t worry. Both schools are historic and would never close lol, even if inpatient closes at downstate you will do it elsewhere, it will have no bearing on your degree or reputation from. I would 100% go to downstate as it is cheaper.

Do a pros and cons list for both schools. We do not know what you're into.

That being said, I have heard great things about Einstein and less-than-ideal ones at Downstate.

Reactions: 1 user