Albertsons/Sav-on Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sherlockRX

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I will start to work as an intern this summer for Albertsons/Sav-On pharmacy in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX. I just kinda wonder on the status of Albertsons nowadays as I heard from people that the company had undergone bankruptcy a few years ago (?)...In fact, I think all the pharmacy stores have been purchased and switched to different chains, e.g. CVS or Supervalu...I just don't know me working as an intern for them is a good idea or not when considering about their status in today's market of chainstores and retail pharmacies...What are the chances to have a stable and safe pharmacist job after graduation if I work for them? Can anyone who's currently working for Albertsons/Sav-On help me to make the decision?
 
So I will start to work as an intern this summer for Albertsons/Sav-On pharmacy in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX. I just kinda wonder on the status of Albertsons nowadays as I heard from people that the company had undergone bankruptcy a few years ago (?)...In fact, I think all the pharmacy stores have been purchased and switched to different chains, e.g. CVS or Supervalu...I just don't know me working as an intern for them is a good idea or not when considering about their status in today's market of chainstores and retail pharmacies...What are the chances to have a stable and safe pharmacist job after graduation if I work for them? Can anyone who's currently working for Albertsons/Sav-On help me to make the decision?

Well, I work for a converted Sav-On. From what I know, I think you will be safe working with them. They're as good as Rite-Aid, pretty much untouched and undesirable from big corporate chains. I think you are a bit safer with grocery pharmacies and not stand-alone Sav-Ons though. I think you should just consider your chances of working for them. Many of them are simply gone, so slots are limited versus a bigger chain.

I don't really think any pharmacist job is completely SAFE. Longs was the most successful in CA and so was Sav-Ons and they were taken out. Sav-Ons pharmacists were salvaged and converted, but Longs were pretty much all laid off and had to re-apply into the CVS system. I think you should be prepared to be flexible.