1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Alcohol etc.

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by isuclones85, Apr 6, 2007.

1. isuclones85

Pre-Dental
    Anybody know anyone who has tried to apply to dental school with any alcohol offenses when they were younger or any other mishaps? Me and my roommate were talkin about this the other night and I just thought I'd post this to see what you guys thought. Can a young, stupid mistake be overcome to get into dental school or are you doomed. Throw out some opinions or facts if you know anyone in this position. I personally heard a story of a kid getting into med. school with an OWI, which seems impossible but who knows

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. shamrock2006

Dental Student
    If it was a legal matter...it may come up and i think you have to say whether or not you were convicted of any felonies on your app. I know at one interview they ran a background check on everyone. So if thats the case it "may" be an issue..but if it was a while ago..and you were just young and stupid .. then probably no biggie. But if it was an on-campus offense..ur fine...I myself got busted for drinking all the time my first year of undergrad...was never a problem. Just had to do a lot of community service and pay fines out the a$$.

4. PChemGrad

PChemGrad I am a banana.

Attending Physician
    Atleast you dont have a BUI like quite a few of my friends from undergrad.
    BUI = Bicycling Under the Influence

5. djeffreyt

djeffreyt Senior Member

Dentist
    depends on the level of the alcohol related incident.

minor in possession? not a problem
    public drunkenness? Probably not a problem
    DUI? Probably will need to at least talk about it at an interview or in a statement
    DUI with a multicar accident? Probably gonna have some major problems
    ALcohol related shooting? Probably not letting you into dental school.

That said...
    I had 3 misdemeanors that all required court cases (none involving alcohol and none within 5 years) and I got into multiple dental schools. Only one school I interviewed at even asked about any of the three during the interview, and it was Pacific, and that's where I got into and am going to go.

6. amichail

Amen to that... UIP's
    UIP= Urinating in public

Darn IV foot-patrol!

7. amichail

8. PennPB

Dental Student
    I guess that would depend on how egregious of an offense was committed, and whether or not it went beyond campus police's jurisdiction. I was cited for urinating in the sink my freshman year, but that was never brought up during the interview. I don't imagine that any of my interviewers were angels during their undergrad years either.

9. shamrock2006

Dental Student
    Precisely..that means we're not boring! If you want to be a boring doctor...go to med school :laugh: (just kidding...or am i?)

10. djeffreyt

djeffreyt Senior Member

Dentist

not a rebel...getting caught means I wasn't that good of one anyway.

3 felonies...now that would be a rebel.

11. karntrev

karntrev Junior Member

Pre-Podiatry
    I have a friend who applied last year and was told that they don't accept criminals into their program. He got cited for underage drinking when he was 18. He wasn't driving or anything like that, I think he was at a party and it got busted. He ended up not getting into any schools last year because he put this on his application. This application cycle (2007), I told him not to put that on his application. He has been accepted to a handful of schools. My recommendation is that if it is a minor alcohol offense such as this then don't worry about it. However if it is a DUI or something you may have some problems.

12. djeffreyt

djeffreyt Senior Member

Dentist
    That's sad. Honesty is my policy...hasn't always worked out in my favor...but I stick by it on most things.