Algebra based physics or Calc based?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saturnship

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which math based physics is required for optometry school? I have glanced over some optometry school's requirements and they don't specify...they just say make sure you take a whole year of physics.

Members don't see this ad.

I took algebra based physics and every school has accepted it. It also was enough to prepare me for the physics portion of the OAT.

I think you have to take the algebra-based one because some schools won’t accept the calculus one. If you plan to take the calculus one, you may want to call the schools you plan to apply just to make sure they will accept it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Calculus-based > algebra-based, so they all take it. You don't need the calc-based one for the OAT or for optometry classes, so personally I'd go for the algebra-based because it's a lot easier. :)

i know that berkely requires the calculus based physics but other optometry schools are ok with either or.

Good thing I didn't waste my time applying to Berkeley

Hi,

I spoke with Shamila at the Berkeley Admissions Office and she said that my non-calculus based physics courses would fulfill the requirements. I sent her the course description and the description specifically said that the course could be used for students going into health fields. It would have been horrible if they didn't accept those courses, considering that I had already bought the plane tickets for the interview.
Just for people applying there in the future :)

Ning-Ju

I had to take calc-based for my degree. So, I already had that covered. But, when I applied I remembered berkeley (and every other school) took both. I wish I could have taken algebra based. I would have done better :)

Ning said:
Hi,

I spoke with Shamila at the Berkeley Admissions Office and she said that my non-calculus based physics courses would fulfill the requirements. I sent her the course description and the description specifically said that the course could be used for students going into health fields. It would have been horrible if they didn't accept those courses, considering that I had already bought the plane tickets for the interview.
Just for people applying there in the future :)

Ning-Ju

wow well thats good news. they gave me a hard time about taking algebra based physics when i contacted berkeley and then i sent them the course descriptions and no reply.