Alkenes as good nucleophiles

Started by deleted388502
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted388502

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I got a passage recently that had an alkene and a carbene and asked which was the electrophile and nucleophile. I was very confused by why the alkene would be considered to be the nucleophile and have more electron density when the carbene literally has a lone pair on it.

Also confused why pi electrons and pi orbitals contribute to nucleophilicity in general.

Thanks!
 
Hi,

I got a passage recently that had an alkene and a carbene and asked which was the electrophile and nucleophile. I was very confused by why the alkene would be considered to be the nucleophile and have more electron density when the carbene literally has a lone pair on it.

Also confused why pi electrons and pi orbitals contribute to nucleophilicity in general.

Thanks!

π orbitals contribute to nucleophilicty b/c the π orbitals are located above and below the plane of the sigma bond. Because the sigma bond is directly between two nuclei, the π bond is above and below the 2 nuclei (see google images). Consequently, the π electrons are less stabilized by the nuclei and therefore more nucleophilic.

The carbene is electrophilic because it has an incomplete octet; in contrast, an alkene carbon has a complete octet.