All Current Dental Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

[B]In your opinion, which dental school is better...Baylor or San Antonio?[/B]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aaron_TX

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In your opinion, which dental school is better...Baylor or San Antonio?

Members don't see this ad.

Based on the poll results thus far, I'm very curious to hear additional insight from those that voted San Antonio as opposed to Baylor. Much like Aaron_TX, I'm also in this very difficult position of having to choose one of these two schools and am torn at the moment. You guys are already dental students and have the inside scoop at this point. Is there anything that some soon-to-be 1st year dental students should know that could sway our decision one way or the other. Thanks for any help.

I'm just biased - San Antonio sent me an interview invite, and I enjoyed my experience there. I was accepted, and took their offer, but when I decided to go to a different school, they were more than understanding; no hate mail, no lost deposit $$, just a friendly sendoff and wishes for good luck. They seemed to place great emphasis on research and community service... and I like the city itself, it's nice.

Baylor sent me a secondary and a few weeks later I got an "our class is full" letter, so I wasted some $$ on their secondary fee.

Also, unless you find someone who has gone through more than one school (which is possible), it's hard to get a good idea of how each school stacks up to another. That is, a current dental student's 'inside scoop' will only apply to one school - their own.

It might help to gather all the info that you can about both schools from people who are current students there, then make your own little chart that lists Pros and Cons of each school - tailored to you, for your life, and for your goals in the field - because that's what really matters. Some questions that you may want to ask about each school and your situation are: do you have family nearby? can you get cheap or reasonable housing? might you want to specialize, or just be a gp? what are their board scores like? do their clinics have a long waiting list for patients (which I know UTSA does, not sure about Baylor), or are students fighting tooth-and-nail just to get chair time? do you have to do your own lab work (you don't at UTSA)? Just some things to keep in mind. Sorry if this is all repeated from another post somewhere :) Good luck!!

Vitae said:
Based on the poll results thus far, I'm very curious to hear additional insight from those that voted San Antonio as opposed to Baylor. Much like Aaron_TX, I'm also in this very difficult position of having to choose one of these two schools and am torn at the moment. You guys are already dental students and have the inside scoop at this point. Is there anything that some soon-to-be 1st year dental students should know that could sway our decision one way or the other. Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd rather live in Dallas than in San Antonio. Both are great schools though.

Actually, I appreciate the post/poll and empathize with the dilemma that the op has.

Maybe it's just me but it seems like San Antonio students always have great things to say about their school where Baylor students hardly ever offer info about their school. I really would like to know which students are happier.

Frankly, when I interveiwed at these schools, San Antonio was by far the more appealing offer. It's just too bad I live in Dallas.

I too appreciate this thread. Can some Baylor students please give us some info on your program? Would you go somewhere else now that you know what Baylor is all about, or are you loving Baylor?

I am a practicing dentist that has recently graduated from Baylor. I think Baylor is a wonderful school. Clinically, there is no better school. However, I think S.A. is a great school as well. Where do you want to set up shop? If it is Dallas then I would go to Baylor? If S.A. area then go to UTSA? This will make it an easier transition into private practice. If you have any specific questions I would be glad to answer them.

Mouthjaw said:
I am a practicing dentist that has recently graduated from Baylor. I think Baylor is a wonderful school. Clinically, there is no better school. However, I think S.A. is a great school as well. Where do you want to set up shop? If it is Dallas then I would go to Baylor? If S.A. area then go to UTSA? This will make it an easier transition into private practice. If you have any specific questions I would be glad to answer them.

thank you for offering info. i do have a few questions. how did you feel about doing all your own lab work? should a future student of baylor expect to spend weekends and nights at school to finish it?