All High Passes on clerkships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dgc_8

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Really bummed that I wasn't able to get honors on any of my rotations. I was able to get three clinical honors, but my shelf grades were never good enough to get me over the hump. Unfortunately, at my school that put me in the bottom quartile. Step 2 score is 247 with a mix of high pass and honors in pre-clinicals. I know I really shouldn't be all that worried, but I keep seeing comments on reddit threads talking about how it could look bad for residency apps.

Members don't see this ad.

Really bummed that I wasn't able to get honors on any of my rotations. I was able to get three clinical honors, but my shelf grades were never good enough to get me over the hump. Unfortunately, at my school that put me in the bottom quartile. Step 2 score is 247 with a mix of high pass and honors in pre-clinicals. I know I really shouldn't be all that worried, but I keep seeing comments on reddit threads talking about how it could look bad for residency apps.

It really depends on the specialty you want.

Yeah that sounds fairly middle of the road. In many fields you’d have a strong app. In others you’d find it difficult to match. The key piece of info missing is what field you’d like to pursue

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah that sounds fairly middle of the road. In many fields you’d have a strong app. In others you’d find it difficult to match. The key piece of info missing is what field you’d like to pursue
I am applying to FM! Im sure for most programs it's no problem but I've heard that the 'top' programs (I know strict rankings aren't really a thing in FM compared to other specialties) like Ventura, JPS, University of Washington, etc. can still be pretty competitive. I am an East Coaster applying to a ton of rural focused/full spectrum FM programs out in WA, OR, MT, CO, WY, and ID

I'm right there with you, pal. Pretty much all HP so far, usually due to strong clinical performance but poor shelf performance. Most likely shooting pathology. I genuinely don't think it is anything to be ashamed of.

Just try your best on your Sub-I and electives/aways in FM. At this point, I think showing genuine interest is better than sprinkling in a few honors. Great work on Step 2.

Reactions: 2 users