Technology All med students give me some help here....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Shades McCool

Kal-el
7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
if I were you I'd get something a little thinner and lighter... that's going to be a lot to drag back and forth to school (unless you know now you're just going to leave it at home all the time)...
 
For 1500 dollars, you can get a pretty nice iBook, or even look at the PowerBooks. Just a thought.

iBooks
They start at $999.
 
Just buy alienware! or Northwest Falcon or whatever. ibuypower.com has good systems and is pretty cheap.
 
InfraMan said:
It's going to be heavy and bulky, but it'll definitely get the job done. Make sure you use the 35% (+) off coupons as described here, and don't wait, the coupon might get used up soon (4000 uses)

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mes...threadid=455971&highlight_key=y&keyword1=9300
That is not going to be heavy or bulky, because it is a centrino. Everyone has their own idea of what "heavy/bulky" is. My idea of a heavy and bulky laptop by Dell are their XPS models (which are meant for gaming). Those things are bricks.
 
sunny123 said:
That is not going to be heavy or bulky, because it is a centrino. Everyone has their own idea of what "heavy/bulky" is. My idea of a heavy and bulky laptop by Dell are their XPS models (which are meant for gaming). Those things are bricks.

It's 9 pounds! And 17" screen means it's about as big as a car door. ;-)

I have an 8600 which is slightly lighter than the 9300 due to my 15.4" screen instead of 17". Believe me, it's heavy! I'm not looking forward to carting it back and forth this fall.
 
sunny123 said:
That is not going to be heavy or bulky, because it is a centrino.

from dell:

3*Estimated weight - pending final measurements. includes 17" WXGA+ LCD, 53 W/hr (6-cell) battery, DVD ROM drive. Starting weight of 7.85 lbsWeights vary depending on configurations and manufacturing variability.

8lbs OMG hope you have strong arms dude 👎 :laugh:

I'd go for a thin/light anytime for med school, it's all prety low power requirement anyway (word, ppt, internet), unless you have some other purpose for it ???
 
I'd be leaving for med, so it's not I'd be lugging my tower with me. I'm into high-end graphics and audio because I watch a lot of movies and do some serious gaming. Since I wouldn't buy an external monitor, I'd go with a 17' UWXGA screen. Plus, I wouldn't be carrying the laptop to class everyday. I got a pen and paper for that. 😀