All my options..which should I go for?!

Started by dr_juvi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dr_juvi

dr_juvirod
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,
I won't give you a long story about my past but I wanted some advice. Currently a junior with a 2.3 overall GPA..after much struggle to bring it up..first two years were based on a lot of immaturity and some personal issues that I now have come to terms with. I took BIO 1 and Chem 1 my 1st semester and got Fs..i retook BIO 1 and got a D (very naive and some more personal stuff)..started to take BIO 2 but withdrew because there were other things I needed to deal with. After speaking with my old CHEM and BIO profs., they have told me to retake the pre-reqs because they know the reasons for me getting Fs was not a lack of understanding the material but rather test anxiety and some other stuff. Now I'm confused as to what path I should take. Here are my options:

A. Finish up undergrad..with an upward trend thank goodness..and do a formal post-bacc program (I'm in NYC so I have some good ones to choose from) along with the volunteering and research stuff (which I have none of yet)

B. Start the volunteering stuff, continue on an upwards trend and start on the road to re-taking the pre-reqs at a State school..once I graduate I could continue taking them at a formal post-bacc (this way I have some structure and get to take some upper level courses).

C. Same as above but instead of doing a formal post-bacc I would continue doing it informally (being that I would start some of the pre-reqs during undergrad at a separate school) and take some upper-level science.

D. Start taking some of the pre-reqs and then apply to graduate school for an MPH ( I wanted to get this anyway), and continue to take the pre-reqs one or two at a time during the 2 years and apply to med school once I'm done with graduate school.

E. Same as above and afterwards apply to SMP to boost the pre-req GPA higher being that its gonna take a lot of work because of my two Fs and that one D.

I just want to know what you guys think..either way its going to take 2 yrs + to convince adcoms that I deserve to be accepted. Any suggestions/stories from anyone who is doing the same or did the same would be awesome...oh and another question..how the hell do I get to shadowing a doctor..I've asked 3 MDs, 2 of which said they weren't sure they could let me and 1 never got back to me. Should I just email random ones and explain what I want to do..or call them or what?...thanks again guys! 😀