all pre-reqs jr. year???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scamp

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok...I'd love to hear some opinions about my situation...

I moved to NYC @ 18 to pursue a dance career...attended a musical theater conservatory for a year...decided that it wasn't the life for me...waited tables for a year before starting college...
I am now finishing my sophomore year in college, 60 credits, 4.0, state school. I have taken a variety of courses the past two years, trying to figure out what the @#&* I want to do with my life. A few months ago I started exploring health professions on a whim and to my surprise I realized I would love to be doctor (I know that must sound so...[insert adjective here], but there has been a lot of soul searching going on).
Here's the problem: I really want to apply next year. I will have to take ALL my pre-reqs this year (the only science classes I've taken are astronomy, honors geology, and non-science major chem) and probably wouldn't be ready for the mcats until AUG. ('03). I have no ec's or volunteer work from the past two years (only an honors program, part-time restaurant jobs, and four years of tons of volunteer work at a children's theater in highschool), so I will start exploring those this year. Plus, I really want to major in sociology (I had been headed that way), but these pre-reqs will push the bulk of my major classes to my senior year. My question is...will the adcoms take me seriously if I crammed this all into a year and three months???
Will they care that I'll still have half my major to go??
Would it be better just to take my time and wait two years to apply???
Has anyone else been in this situation??? :confused:

Whew...I know I'll figure this out, but I would really appreciate some advice if you have some to give. :)

thanks a million in advance.

scamp

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Scamp,
I am sure this is not what you want to hear, but my advice to you is to take it a bit slow. It is great that you have decided that medicine is what you want to pursue as a career; that is the first step. Next step is to formulate a plan with regards to finishing your pre-reqs. It is obvious from your post that you have had none of the required science classes. That means, without a doubt, that it is going to take you more than one year to get them done. If you are thinking about cramming your schedule with the pre-req. science classes, be informed that it is not a wise thing to do. How well you do in these classes will determine, in no small measure, whether or not you are able to get into medical school. As it is, even if you were to load up on science classes, it will more time than one year. You have to have general chem. out of the way before you can take organic chem. Also, some medical schools require genetics and/or biochem for admission ? once again, you will have to have taken general chem. and bio before you can take these classes. All of these classes (including o-chem) are a must if you are to do well on the MCATs. Those who have taken it will attest to that, I?m sure.
As for your sociology major, my advice is that if you are absolutely certain that medicine is what you want to do, AND you are rushed for time (as you seem to be ), then you should perhaps look into a science major that will allow greater overlap with the med school pre-reqs. However, if you should decide to take it slower, then sociology will serve you just as well as any other major, especially since you have a proclivity towards it.
Like you, I decided quite late that I wanted to pursue medicine ? I spent six years in undergrad, and during the first 3 or so I had no idea what I wanted to do. Once I had it all figured out, I so wished that I could get everything done right away and apply ? so I know how you must feel. But, as I was to find out, there are no short cuts and it is much better to take it slow and do well on your classes than to rush things and ruin your academic record, not to mention your chances of getting in. Anyway, I have spent the last year in a post-bacc program, and I recently got my acceptance!!!
In summation, then, I think you really should give yourself more time?.perhaps you could take the MCATs in Apr. 2004, and apply that year. If you use your summers wisely, you should be able to get the pre-reqs done in that amount of time. Also, that will give you more time to volunteer in medical settings, something which is absolutely indispensable for a strong application.
In whatever you should decide, I wish you the very best!

Qafas offers excellent advice. He is in a better position to offer it than I (I am a third year at a DO program).

Its awesome that you have decided to pursue a career in medicine... and don't ever lose sight of that (if its what you want to do). Don't let anyone discourage you or tell you you can't do it. I listened to my undergrad pre med advisor, who told me I wouldn't have a shot at a MD program, and to go to a DO school. I am in the top of my class and in the top %ile for boards... I think I would have done just as well at an MD program.... but I digress...

It is so critically important that you do well on your pre-reqs, and as Qafas said, don't rush them. If you plan your summer classes well (if you can even take them at all), you can get one pre-req out of the way. If you take gen chem next year (fall/spring) you could take organic in the summer... then you can take your bio classes and physics in 2004 and apply for the MCAT that spring of '04.

Gen chem and orgo are weed out classes that a lot of schools use to drop the #s of applicants... so don't get discouraged. They're hard but theyr'e necessary hoops you have to jump through.

I wish you the best of luck in your classes. And enjoy your undergrad while you can.
Q

THANK YOU QAFAS & QuinnNSU!

I really appreciate your advice and encouragement- I needed a reality check. I think you are right...I want this bad enough to be patient, so that's what I'll do. :wink:

Congrats on your acceptance Qafas! :clap:
Good luck QuinnNSU!