All prerequisites at a CC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CbasCoC2016

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just at the tittle says, how bad would it look if I were to take all of the prerequisites at my CC? I currently have the units to transfer but due to monetary issues, I can't afford a university at the moment. So I will have to stay another year at my CC, and the only classes that I have left are some GEs and some major prerequisites which the same for dental school. How bad would this affect my chances at top dental schools?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Significantly, a lot of schools don't accept prerequisite credits from CCs. If I were in your position I would take the loans out as needed from your university as it will definitely pay off in the long run.

I had interviews give me a hard time about several of my prerequisites being from a CC. So I broke down and paid the higher cost at the cheapest University in the area. It's frustrating but necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Significantly, a lot of schools don't accept prerequisite credits from CCs. If I were in your position I would take the loans out as needed from your university as it will definitely pay off in the long run.
There are only like 7 or 8 dental schools that don't accept community college prerequisites... OP, you'll be fine. Just make sure you get good grades in those classes and get a high DAT score to back up your community college coursework. What many people who have not been to a community college fail to realize, is that some of these community college classes are more difficult than at the university level (even though dental schools tend to think its easier). Additionally, the smaller class sizes are sometimes more effective for learning. Again, just make sure you do well in the science sections of the DAT to back up your coursework, or else dental schools may think you just had grade inflation from your community college. Best of luck and just do whatever is best for your situation! Also, I would recommend taking one or two extra upper division science classes at a university and do well in them.

Reactions: 1 users
I had interviews give me a hard time about several of my prerequisites being from a CC. So I broke down and paid the higher cost at the cheapest University in the area. It's frustrating but necessary.

Do you mind sharing which schools did that?

There are only like 7 or 8 dental schools that don't accept community college prerequisites... OP, you'll be fine. Just make sure you get good grades in those classes and get a high DAT score to back up your community college coursework. What many people who have not been to a community college fail to realize, is that some of these community college classes are more difficult than at the university level (even though dental schools tend to think its easier). Additionally, the smaller class sizes are sometimes more effective for learning. Again, just make sure you do well in the science sections of the DAT to back up your coursework, or else dental schools may think you just had grade inflation from your community college. Best of luck and just do whatever is best for your situation! Also, I would recommend taking one or two extra upper division science classes at a university and do well in them.
You're right about accepting CC classes. Most just don't like ALL the science credits coming from CC. Most schools want at least a couple upper level classes in either bio or chem.
Do you mind sharing which schools did that?
Oklahoma did both last year and this year. Other times were casual conversations during ADA and ACP meetings, so I don't remember which ones said what, but I was told to take some third and fourth level classes.

Reactions: 1 user
took all mine at a cc except for biochem and have 4 interviews so far, also non trad that owns a business and i needed to put off commuting to a university for as long as i could, some feedback i have gotten from unlv and nova though is they would have liked to see more upper level sciences and non cc work but oh well, in the process of doing that now.

Thanks! I've seen/read the document before but what do they mean by 60 credits max? Do they mean as 60 credits of random classes that I took at my CC or 60 units worth of prerequisites?
Required prereqs do not amount to 60 hours. They are suggesting that after 2 years at a JC it is time to leave the safety of the nest.

I have almost 70 cc units and I've taken most of my prerequisites at cc. Have a couple of interviews this cycle.

Definitely take biochem at a 4 year tho

Required prereqs do not amount to 60 hours. They are suggesting that after 2 years at a JC it is time to leave the safety of the nest.
Oh that's kinda bad for me then... Currently, I have a total of 69 units(mostly science classes) and by the time I transfer, I'll probably have around 110 units taken at a CC. Am I going to be in a lot of trouble? I'm a science major so when I transfer, I'll probably take a lot of upper division science classes and biochemistry.

Oh that's kinda bad for me then... Currently, I have a total of 69 units(mostly science classes) and by the time I transfer, I'll probably have around 110 units taken at a CC. Am I going to be in a lot of trouble? I'm a science major so when I transfer, I'll probably take a lot of upper division science classes and biochemistry.
Don’t worry it’s not a bad thing. I have 172 credit hours total with my BA. I have more CC hours than university hours, However the university hours are all upper level bio and chem classes, so they’re happy.