All the Optometrists, what are your working hours? Do you work on Saturdays?

Started by eyj
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

eyj

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I was interested in being an optometrist but became a bit nervous after I heard all the down sides. I want to all the optometrists to tell me your typical working hours, if you have to work on Saturdays, and also if you are in private practice or not. Thank you so much! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well someone's gotta work on the weekends, especially those who are working commercial. Mine works one Saturday a month for four hours.

What downsides are you talking about?
 
At Lenscrafters we offer exams 7 days a week from about 9:40 to 6:40 except on sundays were it's 11:00 to 5:40. But we have one doctor that works 5 days a week (not just M-F) with a few other associate doctors that fill in the days or act as a 2nd doctor for the day. They probably work 2-3 days a week, though I know at least one of them works at other corporate LCs or costco.

Another private practice I worked at was open Mon-sat 9-6. That sucked.
 
At Lenscrafters we offer exams 7 days a week from about 9:40 to 6:40 except on sundays were it's 11:00 to 5:40. But we have one doctor that works 5 days a week (not just M-F) with a few other associate doctors that fill in the days or act as a 2nd doctor for the day. They probably work 2-3 days a week, though I know at least one of them works at other corporate LCs or costco.

Another private practice I worked at was open Mon-sat 9-6. That sucked.

Many private practices offer Saturday hours. Somtimes 3-4hrs, somtimes all day (more typical of commercial settings).

Offering weekend hours puts ones practice at an advantage, as most patients work during regular office hours and would have to miss work in order to get an exam.

Other health professionals have weekend coverage, on call schedules, etc. That's the nature of health care.