All Who Went On Interviews, Help Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rallthenamesgon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a question for everyone that went on an interview this past year. At the time that you were invited for interviews what were your applications like?

Reason I am asking is because when I start to apply this fall, my applications will be missing my OAT scores (until November), a few prerequisite classes (grades) and possibly one LOR. Was anyone in this same boat or similar and still offered an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

no school is going to offer you an interview without oat scores and your letters of rec. the prereqs are fine as long as you are taking them in the fall or planning on taking it in the spring. why would you possibly wait that long to take the oat or get another letter??? the best way to get into a school is to apply early ... take the oats over the summer and get a letter now!

grades wont be much of a factor as alot of applicants are still in their 4th year undergrad and not all will have finished pre-reqs, although after your interview they might place you on hold rather than giving you an acceptance pending your final pre-requisite grades.

LOR and OAT scores, you do not need in before they offer you an interview, but some schools require them to be in. For instance, I got an interview to NOVA before they had recieved my OAT scores, and while I was interviewing at ICO one of the other interviewee's still had to get her LORs in. Although other schools like SCO, Ohio State, would not even review my file until everything was complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was offered an interview in October for ICO without OAT scores (did not take Oat until January) and also without EIGHT pre-reqs. I sent my OAT scores in January, accepted the following week. Did have the LORs tho.....I think that matters. ICO doesn't care if OAT scores and pre-reqs are finished before the interview tho.

OAT scores do not have to be in when u apply, but I think it would be in ur best interest if they were. Mine werent in when I went for my intervew (but only one school interviewed me w/out them, the rest of the schools interviewed me after they got my scores) so I would highly reccommend that u take them earlier rather than later, just in case u need to take them over since u have to wait 90 days in between. But u dont have to have them in when u turn in ur application but be sure to take it soon after.
And as others said pre-req's dont need to be all finished.

Good luck!

Just a question for everyone that went on an interview this past year. At the time that you were invited for interviews what were your applications like?

Reason I am asking is because when I start to apply this fall, my applications will be missing my OAT scores (until November), a few prerequisite classes (grades) and possibly one LOR. Was anyone in this same boat or similar and still offered an interview?

Your application will most likely be held on HOLD, until it is complete. You cannot be a candidate without all the required info.

no school is going to offer you an interview without oat scores and your letters of rec. the prereqs are fine as long as you are taking them in the fall or planning on taking it in the spring. why would you possibly wait that long to take the oat or get another letter??? the best way to get into a school is to apply early ... take the oats over the summer and get a letter now!

That's not entirely true. I was called two days after my application was received to set up a time to come and interview, and I hadn't taken my OATs (and told them I would not take them until spring). They can't make a final decision unless everything is in, but you can be invited for an interview.

But, of course, it would probably be better if everything was complete! I made that mistake.

Thank you all for the advice. If there is anyone else who has advice for me, please share.

If you are applying to Pacific, you have to submit all of your application materials at the same time. This includes the application itself as well as the letters of recommendation. Also, I am almost positive that you have to have your OAT scores before they will even look at your application. I would assume the other schools have a similar process set up. If you won't have all of this until November, then I would just wait until then to apply. Even November is still pretty early in the game.

Your best bet, however, is to contact the admissions reps at the schools where you intend to apply and get their thoughts on this issue.

I took the OAT in early December, scores were in within a month, and then I got interview offers.