Allergy/ Immunology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmaha

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew what type of residency one is required to complete for Allergy/ Immunolgy? I have heard from some that it requires a residency in internal med, and I have also heard it requires residency in peds- could anyone clarify this for me? I assume this requires a fellowship after completing residency, is this correct? Also, how research intensive is Allergy/Immuno- would one have to complete residency that includes research? Does anyone know of any DO's that are Allergists or Immunologists? Additionally, how competitive is this field? Would one have to score extremely high on boards? Any advice is welcome!! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Allergy and immunology is a subspecialty of both internal medicine and pediatrics meaning that everyone does either 3 years of internal medicine, or pediatrics, then a 2 year fellowship in allergy and immunology (the difference being either treating kids or adults with allergies). It is not considered to be a very competetive fellowship, but with all fellowships, residents that have research experience or did their residency at a large academic center would have a more competetive application. Many allergist and immunologist work in academic medical centers end up working in academic medical centers too doing research.

Allergy and Immunology fellowships are not very competitive,and many of the spots in recent years have been filled by IMG's.The problem with allergy practice has been declining HMO coverage for allergy shots which is the bread and butter of this field.However the allergists I know all seem to be doing very well.

There is quite a bit of research in regards to food allergies in paticular at Mount Sinai in NYC.