Allergy/ Immunology

Started by kmaha
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kmaha

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if anyone knew what type of residency one is required to complete for Allergy/ Immunolgy? I have heard from some that it requires a residency in internal med, and I have also heard it requires residency in peds- could anyone clarify this for me? I assume this requires a fellowship after completing residency, is this correct? Also, how research intensive is Allergy/Immuno- would one have to complete residency that includes research? Does anyone know of any DO's that are Allergists or Immunologists? Additionally, how competitive is this field? Would one have to score extremely high on boards? Any advice is welcome!! Thanks!
 
Allergy and immunology is a subspecialty of both internal medicine and pediatrics meaning that everyone does either 3 years of internal medicine, or pediatrics, then a 2 year fellowship in allergy and immunology (the difference being either treating kids or adults with allergies). It is not considered to be a very competetive fellowship, but with all fellowships, residents that have research experience or did their residency at a large academic center would have a more competetive application. Many allergist and immunologist work in academic medical centers end up working in academic medical centers too doing research.
 
Allergy and Immunology fellowships are not very competitive,and many of the spots in recent years have been filled by IMG's.The problem with allergy practice has been declining HMO coverage for allergy shots which is the bread and butter of this field.However the allergists I know all seem to be doing very well.