Allerpet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cymbidium

Awesome.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi pre-vets-
I'm a pre-dent and am looking for a little advice about allerpet. My husband is allergic to our cat, but being the good sport that he is, he's decided to suffer with his allergy and a daily claritin (yeah, I know I LOVE my cat and I had him before I met my husband). Anyway, a woman at the store told me about allerpet and how it may be able to help with his allergy. I looked it up and saw that it's basically a solution you rub on your cat once a week. What, if anything, do you know about this product? Is it safe for my cat?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

oh yeah - big props tp you guys. Dental school is getting really competitive to get into (something like 60-70 of all applicants each year don't get in). I can't even imagine how difficult it is to get accepted to vet school. Good luck everyone!

I don't know anything about Allerpet, but I do know that a good few vets are allergic to cats, the one that my grandma takes her cat to gets some sort of allergy shot just once a month I believe and she's perfectly fine for the whole month. I don't know if anything like that is an option (b/c if your husband is like me and would rather watch paint peel off a wall then get a shot) but I just thought I'd make a suggestion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also no idea on that product. Ask your vet. You can try bathing your cat with baby shampoo once every two weeks or so--it helps some people with allergies. This obviously depends on your cats temperment. If you can't bath with water you can try some of the dry bath cleaners they may help some too. As will brushing to get the loose dander and fur off and into the trash can! You can also try just being religious about cleaning--that will also help a lot.

Good luck

One study found it didn't do anything to decrease the shedding of the major feline allergen (Fel d 1):

Klucka CV, et al. Cat shedding of Fel d I is not reduced by washings, Allerpet-C spray, or acepromazine. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1995 Jun;95(6):1164-71.