Allopathic FP vs. Osteopathic FP Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshine2004

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering what is the difference in the residency programs between AOA and AGME family practice? I have done AI's at both types of programs. I observed that osteopathic programs did not tend to do inpatient family medicine (family inpatient service). I am wondering if training w/o an inpatient emphasis places the resident at a disadvantage for training for jobs? For instance does the canidate with the inpatient experience plus OB make you a more competitive canidate in the job market post residency?

:) All advice appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

I just think it is insane not to do inpatient medicine in FP residency. But what you are probably referring to as that the 2nd and 3rd year DO residents do not do inpatient, since all FP DO residencies are linked to an osteopathic rotating internship. I think it all boils down to only a few major factors for me in selecting a residency.

1) I want to be around a lot of people who are intelligent and who are Americans. I have no beef with foreign people, as my family is from mixed culture. What I do not want though is to be an intern who works under many 3rd year FMG's (assuming the FMG's are the types that are very poor English speaking and had low board scores). I certainly recognize that there are many crappy US grads, and many good FMG's. Its just something to be aware of when you are looking at who your chiefs will be. You will never have this problem at one of the top 3 FP programs in the country and at any DO program.

2) Does the residency teach the skills I want to use when I am done. For me its quite easy, because I know I want to do OB, GI, Derm, and non-invasive cardiac procedures. I simply X them off my list if they cannot give me 40-50 c-sections in 3 years. Screw that fellowship crap when I can get it done somewhere in 3.

3) Location, Location, Location.

PAC to DOC,

Thanks for the reply. I was asking about the differences between the 2nd and 3rd year. My fear would be that I would not be prepared for inpatient medicine w/o doing it in residency first. Yes, we do 3 months of internal medicine our internship year but I feel there is something to the Family Medcine continuity of care. That being said what are the top programs of FP? I am interested in UNC and CWRU UH in Cleveland so far.
:)

Correct me if I'm wrong because I've only researched only a handful of programs, but isn't true that usually, FPs typically increase the number of half days in clinic as their training progresses and so the structure of their 3rd year tends to be more outpatient anyways? I don't know osteo programs so I don't know how they work, but that seems to be the case for allo.