Allopathic residency as a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MI48104doc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a fourth-year DO student interested in an MD neuro residency. I'm from a state that requires an osteopathic internship year, so I'm not planning on applying for neuro until next year. Does anyone know of programs that accept PGY2s if they dont apply a year in advance?
I was also wondering how competitive it is for a DO to get an MD spot in neuro? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Neurology requires an internship year so you should be applying for PGY-2 spots in Neurology now. You can apply for a 2005 PGY-2 spot in Neurology now through the SFMatch. This is the same for all fields that require an internship such as Neurology, Rads, Ophtho, Derm, PM&R, Anesthesia, & Psych.

I think the main problem is that Neurology residencies supposedly won't accept an osteopathic rotating internship as the pgy-1 year. Can anyone verify this? If so, what are the chances of having the AOA approve the allopathic internship year?

Members don't see this ad :)
MD neurology residencies will not accept AOA internship as your pgy-1. It is has to be ACGME approved. The problem lies that it is one of the requirements for taking the Neurology board. So even if they let you iet you into the program, you will not be board certified or even board eligible. You will not be able to take the DO neurology board either because you will not have completed a DO neurology residency. Your best solution is to do a preliminary medicine internship that is dually accredited. There are few around the country. Providence hospital in Michigan, Umass, and St. Vincent's (worcester, MA) are few that I can think of. Good luck!

I believe the neurology board requirements are for 9 months of internal medicine. Alot of states will let you petition them to get your prelim year approved as a rotation AOA year. And even though it may not get fully approved I hear that you can do a couple months of rotations to finish the requirement instead of having to a whole other year. If I were you I'd look for prelim medicine/transitional year with 9 months medicine and 1 month each of peds, ob, surgery, etc.