Almost afraid to ask.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onamission

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
..... I'm planning on retaking the DAT and have already purchased the Kaplan on-line course (I only used Kaplan's book the first time). After seeing a few threads that had recommendations to some people about NOT retaking the DAT, please tell me what you think about these scores and whether or not you'd retake it. I'm starting to stress about having forgotten all my OChem!:eek:

AA = 18
TS = 19
OC = 18
GC = 20
Bio = 18
RC = 20
QR = 15
PA = 21

The 15 in QR is why I'm planning on retaking it. What do you think?

Oh yeah, and before you ask about my GPA ..... I have an ugly 2.1 from my undergrad 20 years ago (BS Electrical Engineering) but a 4.0 overall since returning to school (this includes all my pre-reqs). This averages out to an ugly 2.55 cum, 2.51 sci & 3.12 BCP. I have learned after an application cycle of pure rejection to only apply to schools that have supplemental apps so that I have a chance to explain my GPA. Does my GPA change your mind about retaking the DAT?

Members don't see this ad.

yes, retake the DAT and shoot for a 21+. that score coupled with an upward trend in GPA should be enough to get you into a school.

you may also want to call the schools you're really interested in this summer to get some input; it will bring some attention to your application when you apply again.

best of luck, jB!:)

Yes, retake. I took it last summer and got 18/21/17, above 3.0 GPA, TONS of dental experience and got zero interviews.

I have an ugly 2.1 from my undergrad 20 years ago (BS Electrical Engineering) but a 4.0 overall since returning to school (this includes all my pre-reqs). This averages out to an ugly 2.55 cum, 2.51 sci & 3.12 BCP.

Question: So school don't care that your low GPA is from 20 years ago?! (I'm concerned about grades from years and years ago.)

Also, how hard was it getting that 4.0 this time around? What type of school did you select to do that pre-req work at? Do you think the reputation of that school had any bearing on the reception your application got (or, sadly, didn't)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, I agree with everyone on that post, shoot fr 21+, you should be fine!! If you have the motivation of being a dentist then study hard and you can do it!! Just a little heads up, study alot of math, since everyone who took recently said math has gotten really tough!!

Good luck!

so what do you think about the Kaplan online course? Is it good, would you recommend it before taking the DAT the first time? thanks

..... already about having spent the money on Kaplan! Thanks everyone. ArmyPreDent: I haven't started the course yet. You can buy it and then give them a later start date because the on-line stuff is only good for 90 days (I'd love to have thought of that scam!)
Kane: I'll PM you after my microbiology test this morning and fill you in on the details regarding 20 year old grades.

I did most of my science courses at community colleges, that might have something to do with it.

May I ask how many schools you applied to????

I am gearing toward the 2009 cycle and I feel my stats will be similar to yours (I graduated in '04 with 3.01 overall GPA), by time I finish all my pre-req, im lucky If I can pull my over all to 3.1 (EVEN If my post-pacc is 4.0)