Almost done with nursing school...next step?

RNinTraining

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in nursing school right now only have a year and a half left...and as most of us know a year and a half to a college student feels like a month. I just have a few questions I have many medical professionals in my family that I will talk to about this but I wanted other input as well. I really would like to go into med school after I obtain my RN license. My question being does any doctor out there think that med school would be do-able with me working as an RN full time at the same time. Being a doctor has always been a dream of mine but i took classes in high school that made me lean more toward nursing and that's what I ended up perusing simply because I was so ready to get out and start caring for people! The question that keeps running through my head is will I be able to make it? Or would it be just a bust because I would have to either give up practicing nursing or give up becoming a doctor? Thanks in advanced for ANY input you may have for me!!!

-RNinTraining

Members don't see this ad.

highly highly highly doubt you could work 40 hours a week and survive med school.

I'm in nursing school right now only have a year and a half left...and as most of us know a year and a half to a college student feels like a month. I just have a few questions I have many medical professionals in my family that I will talk to about this but I wanted other input as well. I really would like to go into med school after I obtain my RN license. My question being does any doctor out there think that med school would be do-able with me working as an RN full time at the same time. Being a doctor has always been a dream of mine but i took classes in high school that made me lean more toward nursing and that's what I ended up perusing simply because I was so ready to get out and start caring for people! The question that keeps running through my head is will I be able to make it? Or would it be just a bust because I would have to either give up practicing nursing or give up becoming a doctor? Thanks in advanced for ANY input you may have for me!!!

-RNinTraining

Being a medical student is a full-time job. So, to answer your question, practicing nursing and going to a medical institution is difficult to the extent of coming to be impossible.
Now, as a nurse, you are limited; whereas, a doctor can practice medicine to its fullest degree.

By the way, this is a High School forum.
Moving to pre-allopathic in 5, 4, ... ?

Members don't see this ad :)
...If you can get into med school as a nurse.

yeah you can get in with nursing, but to continue working as a nurse WHILE in school? no way

Medical schools are notorious for not accepting nurses. They wonder why you don't just be a nurse and dislike how you took a spot from someone who wants to be a nurse — further contributing to the nurse shortage.

You can, but it's a lot harder. Nursing majors have the lowest acceptance rate.

Medical schools are notorious for not accepting nurses. They wonder why you don't just be a nurse and dislike how you took a spot from someone who wants to be a nurse — further contributing to the nurse shortage.

yeah I know, I think I misread your first post :laugh: how i don't know..

That's not why. We don't trust the academic rigor of nursing degrees.

There is definitely not a nursing shortage, except maybe in BFE.