Almost no shadowing. Should I apply later?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kuune

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have the grades, lots of research, and decent amounts of clinical volunteering. However, I only have 6 hours of shadowing two surgeries. I'm signed up for a shadowing program this summer to build hours, which was my whole reason for taking a year off, but I don't start until mid June. I wanted to enter my app the first week of June to get the early edge, but now I'm wondering if it's worth the wait to get more shadowing hours in on the primary. Or is it fine as long as I add it onto the secondaries and send updates? My app is pretty much done, and it would suck to wait around for a month just to add a few extra hours (the program only lets us shadow family physicians about 3-4 hours a week).

I'm also applying to a lot of top 20 schools, so I need every advantage I can get.

Suggestions?

My other stats:
3.97 sGPA, 3.94 cGPA, 35O MCAT

ECs
3+ years research. 1 publication, 2 posters. Got a job at the same lab for my year off.
One summer in a research fellowship (same lab) which included weekly meetings, final paper and poster presentation.
2 summers and 1 school year of volunteering in different hospitals, all of which had patient contact. Total of 170 hours.
Bio TA for a semester
Bio private tutor for a semester.
Leadership in a school club
>>6 hours shadowing 2 surgeries<<

Awards
Phi Beta Kappa
2 departmental awards

Members don't see this ad.

Your application is good enough without shadowing. Your volunteering shows adequate clinical experience and your stats/research are very impressive. Apply now and update with the shadowing later. Shadowing is not going to make or break your app. Applying early > shadowing a few extra hours.

This makes me think about something else. How important is shadowing when you are applying for an MD PhD?
Please answer, i need help

Last edited: