Alpha/Beta sugars

Started by Sammy1024
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sammy1024

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I was wondering how you could count the carbons on a sugar ring? I always count from the O CW but a questions I did counted them both directions.

Also does cis/trans connection affect the type of bonding (Alpha vs. Beta)?

upload_2014-8-9_7-47-27.png


I thought these were two alpha connections but it was alpha beta

Also I don't see how this is an acetal bond.

upload_2014-8-9_7-54-24.png


I can see the O and the second sugar as being the OR, but where is the other OR?
 
Last edited:
For alpha and beta. I remember this acronym AtBc. This means alpha anomer oxygen is trans to CH2OH and beta is cis to it.
For counting hexoses, I think it is simpler to remember that C-5 doesn't have a -OH group but is only attached to the CH2OH group, this is true for both furanoses and pyranoses

The other R is the first sugar. Sugar - O - Sugar = R-O-R