Alpha Epsilon Delta

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out that I was accepted, but was shocked to see that there is a sixty dollar membership fee. Is it worth it to join this organization?

Members don't see this ad.

bbas said:
I just found out that I was accepted, but was shocked to see that there is a sixty dollar membership fee. Is it worth it to join this organization?
What would you consider worth it? It really depends on what your chapter does.

bbas said:

Yes, sixty dollars is nothing when compared to the few thousand dollars that it costs you per year to join a national fraternity or sorority. Also, AED will give you a lot of volunteering opportunities too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!

I'm an officer of AED at my school, so I might be biased, but I'd definitely say go for it if your chapter does interesting stuff. We do a lot of speakers/panels, others do volunteering -- it all depends. Since you applied, you're probably interested in whatever your local chapter does. Plus, I hate to bring up the resume aspect, but AED is the only national premed honor society, so it does look good.... $60 seems steep, but it's on par with other honor societies like Phi Beta Kappa, so it's not outrageous or anything.

I was an officer for a few years at our chapter, but I think its worth it only if your chapter is really highly developed and provides a lot of opportunities. I think this past year our chapter was highly unorganized due to lack of communication skills amongst officers and lack of people getting things done.

At any rate, I think the things that most matter are research, clinical experience, and doing the things you most enjoy in life.

Since the admission criteria for AED and Phi Beta Kappa are so drastically different, I'd have to disagree that AED is similar.

To the OP, keep this in mind: practically every premed out there will have AED on their CV with little gold stars surrounding it, thinking that it's the golden ticket in. It's not.

There are many things that are a dime for 25,000 in applicant resumes and they are:

1)I was a biology major
2)I was in AED
3)I volunteered in an ER
4)I worked in a lab with Prof. XYZ
5)I got a 25-30 on the MCAT.

Each year there are people with exactly what appears above and nothing else that think that they're a shoo-in, but get rejected.

If you want to seem special on paper, do something different. Volunteer somewhere that is actually service-oriented, like being a mentor or working with underprivileged youth. It will count for a lot more than putting AED on there will. Admissions committees know that every premed joins, and they gloss right over it. Do something to impress them; don't do what they expect. They don't want a rubber-stamp applicant; don't be one.

never even heard of it. but phi beta kappa was $60 too.

Im currently an officer in AED. I joined in Spring of 05 and am now an officer. I really enjoy my organization, they provide a lot for students. We go to autopsies, do community service projects, have guest speakers, are involved with the University of Miami in their Medical Mentoring Program which is an amazing program to be apart of. I am extremely happy being in AED and I believe it will bring me a lot more opportunities in the future. I dont think it really can hurt your application being in a pre-med society. I mean if your just a memeber I understand that you will be seen just as a regular, but if you are truly involved in the organization and take an active role then its really something positive.

Im currently an officer in AED. I joined in Spring of 05 and am now an officer. I really enjoy my organization, they provide a lot for students. We go to autopsies, do community service projects, have guest speakers, are involved with the University of Miami in their Medical Mentoring Program which is an amazing program to be apart of. I am extremely happy being in AED and I believe it will bring me a lot more opportunities in the future. I dont think it really can hurt your application being in a pre-med society. I mean if your just a memeber I understand that you will be seen just as a regular, but if you are truly involved in the organization and take an active role then its really something positive.

are you in FIU's club? what's your name? I'm in that silly little club, too.