Alpha Epsilon Delta?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacytechguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is it really?!
I looked at the website of the one at my school, its new. There is an officer, treasurer, you name it. The website was pretty general.

A soceity for pre meds? If it was something like Skulls and Bones at Yale...that might be interesting....

Secret socieity...hmmm

I know AED is not.

Is there really any point in joining? Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Unless its Phi Beta Kappa, its not that important/prestigious

Members don't see this ad :)
It's only worth adding if you do something with them (i.e., club officer, service projects, etc.). Just saying, "I got in and went to all of the chapter meetings," is lackluster at best.

this is the biggest waste of time ever. totally useless AND expensive (they make you pay $50!!!! at least at my school). Don't do it... its just a place where gunner premeds go to pump their resumes full of empty air.

Unless its Phi Beta Kappa, its not that important/prestigious[/q

Was in it in undergrad, and surprisingly its a lot more prestigious than I thought, now that I've graduated, i've actually had to fill out forms, like for National Merit Scholars and was specifically asked if I was a member, right alongside Phi Beta Kappa and Phi Kappa Phi.

But, if you are going to mention it in interviews, apps, resume etc, make sure that you actually made a significant contribution and were an active member

It was useful at my undergrad b/c we brought speakers, etc., to introduce students to different healthcare professions. Don't join it just to say you joined, but if they have useful activities or bring useful speakers, check it out.

PBK isn't that impressive, either.

If any honor society is going to be considered prestigious, than it most certainly is PBK. Not only is it limited to a select few schools, but at these institutions, induction into PBK is a major honor and sign of achievement. Almost any other honor society, in contrast, will accept anyone who fills-out an application and writes a check.

i WAS an AED officer and thought that it could be useful when i got involved, although i now can say it truly is just a resume filler.

yay, I joined PBK just right before my graduation:).

Oh I was also involved in AED. It's a fun club for NEW premed, but it becomes boring fast. I say you should join it to network and familiarize yourself with those speakers. They can be helpful in the future.

At my school it was awesome... we had a panel of alumni medical students and practicing physicians and we were each paired with one as a mentor through the club. Incoming pre-med freshman also got older college students as mentors. there were a lot of great speakers brought in and information received and we did lots of volunteer work projects. All in all i think it depends on the individual school and who is running the club as to how it is :) Why not attend a meeting? If they don't do anything you will know it's probably not worth your time...but if you like it, then join!

If you have extra money to cover the membership fee it certainly can't hurt to join.

Just remember you are a pre-med student, joining what is essentially, a pre-med club. It's not the most original thing ever done so don't be shocked if it doesn't impress adcoms. Get involved in other things too.

We had an pretty large and active AED chapter at my undergrad university and I agree with what's been said above, it's only worthwhile if you get involved and participate in service events or become an officer.

We had our meetings at our local med school so we were able to network with some of the faculty and staff and usually had local physicians come in and speak at each meeting. Plus, we were very active and especially for underclassmen, it was nice to have a lot of volunteer/service opportunities already setup.

I thought it was worthwhile. They bring guest speakers who inform you a lot about their view on their specialties, or they bring the dean of admissions from the med school at my school (UW Madison), etc. They also advertised a whole bunch of different volunteer opportunities around the city, "field trips" to view surgeries, and other cool events.