Alpha Omega Alpha

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrdarthvader

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious... I was reading on the allopathic premed forum and noticed they were talking about being a member of AOA and how that possibly helps with getting into good residencies. I also noticed that on SDN under the Big Guide to Med school it lists the different specialties and the difficulty of getting into them. It also mentions AOA as helping to get in to the competitive residencies (orthopedic, nuro, plasitic surgery, derm, rad, etc.)

I initially thought AOA meant American Osteopathic Association, but upon further investigation found that in the context it was being used it meant Alpha Omega Alpha and that it is a medical honors society. So my big question is can DO's be appointed to this society or only MD's?? If not, then why not??

Members don't see this ad.

Good question! If not, is there something comparable in osteopathic medical schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
we have are own AOA!!!!

Most DOs are not advanced people.. and we can't use letter from a dead language

The osteopathic Alpha Omega Alpha equivalent is Psi Sigma Alpha Osteopathic National Medical Honor Society, to become a member you have to have completed the first 2 years of medical education and be in the top 15 percent of your class at the end of the 2nd year.

Psi Sigma Alpha is not really an equivalent (not as well-regarded or important in residency application). DOs cannot be AOA, and there is no real equivalent.

(nicedream) said:
Psi Sigma Alpha is not really an equivalent (not as well-regarded or important in residency application). DOs cannot be AOA, and there is no real equivalent.

Thanks for the honest straight forward answer... That was what I was looking for. I also appreciate the info on PSA...

Thanks, :)

mrdarthvader said:
I initially thought AOA meant American Osteopathic Association, but upon further investigation found that in the context it was being used it meant Alpha Omega Alpha and that it is a medical honors society.

When I first saw it I thought about the same thing.

if you think about it, these greek societies are bull****. Who gives a flying f$*k about what society you were in? It shows on ure residency application what ure rank is. If you're alreayd in the top 1% of your class, you don't need a glorified club to let them know about it. I'm sure that with board scores that's one of the first things they will see. Don't worry about these things, do extremely well in med school, doors to your choice of residency will open.

docmd2010 said:
if you think about it, these greek societies are bull****. Who gives a flying f$*k about what society you were in? It shows on ure residency application what ure rank is. If you're alreayd in the top 1% of your class, you don't need a glorified club to let them know about it. I'm sure that with board scores that's one of the first things they will see. Don't worry about these things, do extremely well in med school, doors to your choice of residency will open.

:thumbup:

i agree,
i mean so many students who match to great schools dont end up joining the AOA society...it's all a matter of perspective.