Alphabet Soup

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sushirolls

Topped with salmon, avocado and tobiko
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the letters used for the various boarded specialties? I just want to know what the CAP folks use but also curious about the others, too.

Psychiatry - Diplomate of American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology = DABPN
Addiction Medicine - Diplomate of the American Board of Addiction Medicine = DABAM
Addiction Medicine - Diplomate of the American Board of Preventive Medicine = DABPM-ADM?
Addiction Psychiatry - American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry = DAAAP?
Child and Adolescent?
CL?
Forensics?
Geriatrics?
Sleep Medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

As a fellow of the American academy of sleep medicine, I can use Michael Rack MD, FAASM. (I usually don't ). Board certification is not part of a standard signature/name tag..... but will sometimes be listed on a work related document if highly relevant. For example, my sleep board certification status is on sleep study reports, mainly for insurance purposes

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, don't get like SW and start including like 12 different acronyms after your name that you "earned" by attending some weekend conference. Ugh, I even see people working clinically who have an MBA and include that in their signature line. Just, why?

Yeah, don't get like SW and start including like 12 different acronyms after your name that you "earned" by attending some weekend conference. Ugh, I even see people working clinically who have an MBA and include that in their signature line. Just, why?

It’s like the email signature version of Will Ferrel screaming “I DRIVE A DODGE STRATUS!!!!”

(just in case someone doesn’t know what I’m talking abou)

As a kid I used to dream about being knighted by the Queen someday. As a grown up I still think about that sometimes, so I could write my name as

Monocles MD, KBE

or better yet

Sir Monocles :happy:

Reactions: 1 user
As a kid I used to dream about being knighted by the Queen someday. As a grown up I still think about that sometimes, so I could write my name as

Monocles MD, KBE

or better yet

Sir Monocles :happy:

With the knighthood, would someone be introduced as Sir Dr so and so, or is there some other etiquette rule for this situation?

When I was in medical school, everyone had this huge list of things below their name on their email signature, and, in addition to listing things like AS or BS, would drop things like which club they were the treasurer of. My favorite, bar none, was “NOWPA BBQ Co-chair.”

Reactions: 2 users
With the knighthood, would someone be introduced as Sir Dr so and so, or is there some other etiquette rule for this situation?
the etiquette would be to call the person Sir, Dame, Lord, Lady etc and their first name. No Dr., Professor or other titles

Reactions: 1 users
The ones op posted are not weekend courses

The ones op posted are not weekend courses

The comment was obviously aimed at the SW crowd, who regularly does that. But, the sentiment remains the same. The more acronyms I see after a person's name, the less competent they seem to me. I'm more of a fan of the suggestion by @michaelrack . Include it when you are working in a relevant capacity, sure.