dentist_to_be?

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
Status
Dentist
Okay I have an old problem but I dont know what to do. Been accepted to Maryland, I loved the school and want to go there. However, I have an interview at Columbia March 18th. Maryland wants me to put a deposit in by March 11th.

Columbia is a very good school, originally, I had considered going there. Now, Ive heard many bad things about the school. I like to be open-minded and see for myself, but if I've already put down a deposit, should I spare the extra expense?

Is the Columbia interview worth going to?

F*R*I*E*N*D*S

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Washington
Status
what were the negatives that you heard about Columbia? i have a friend who can't decide between columbia, penn, and uw. thanks!

OP
dentist_to_be?

dentist_to_be?

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
Status
Dentist
F*R*I*E*N*D*S said:
what were the negatives that you heard about Columbia? i have a friend who can't decide between columbia, penn, and uw. thanks!
You can read the other posts.... mainly that it is competitive and its clinical isnt very good

dane4695

studyin` machine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2004
Bethel, AK
Status
Dentist
If I were you i'd go anyway, unless the big factor is money or something like that. I went to more interviews that i probably should have, but I don't regret it. For me there's a huge difference between reading about the school and actually attending an interview.

dkny2kx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2007
Status
Dental Student
Anyone cross east to west vice versa for an interview to a school you may not attend?

i'm heading to USC, but i have doubts of actually going there

idreamofteeth

10+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2007
Orem Utah
Status
Dental Student
unless you really can't afford it, I would recommend going. You may be shocked, I thought that some of the schools would be awesome and they didn't impress me. I had heard bad things about UNLV and I was really impressed with it. My point is don't let other's make up your mind for you. go and then you can know if you've made the right decision

SuperDuper

10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
How much is the deposit?
If it's not too much, I would probably go to Columbia to check it out. :):D:cool:

wigglytooth

Assistant Wiggle-ator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
unless you really can't afford it, I would recommend going. You may be shocked, I thought that some of the schools would be awesome and they didn't impress me. I had heard bad things about UNLV and I was really impressed with it. My point is don't let other's make up your mind for you. go and then you can know if you've made the right decision
I would recommend this too; you never know how you feel about the school unless you can actually go there. However, be aware that each school tries to put on a "show" for you (pitching their school in the best light as possible) and it might be wise to do some objective thinking and research (ie. search these boards for people's opinions of the schools) before and after the interview if you go.

axum

10+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2007
Status
Dental Student
this post is from nearly 3 years ago. . .was it really worth digging it up?

drpsuedonym

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
He went to Maryland. I wonder what he would say if he saw this thread though?

(As to why I'm bringing up a post so old, did a search on Columbia and it popped up.)

Plopper

"This too will pass"
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 30, 2008
Status
Dental Student
well i think this is interesting, bc i'm sure that a lot of us will have the same predicament. Accepted o a school, need to put a deposit down before interviews at other places, and some deposits can be over 1000$!!