whoam

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
Status
Hi,
Can anyone offer me any advice, I have already done all the pre-reqs required for med school, I have a degree in stats. Can anyone give me advice as to what I should do. My grades in the pre-reqs were low, should I retake these courses, or what programs should I look into.
If I take a certificate course that is non-degree granting, how does it work into my GPA?
Thanks for any advice provided.

Phil Anthropist

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2004
Visit site
Status
Hi newbie! :D

How low are we talking about for prereqs? If it's C- or lower, definitely consider retaking. Some med schools require grades of C or better in the prereqs.

For the AMCAS (MD) application, retakes are averaged.

AMCAS example:

Biology I (Fall 2003): F, 4 credits
Biology I (Fall 2004): A, 4 credits
AMCAS calculation: C, 8 credits

For the AACOMAS (DO) application, only the most recent grade (regardless if it's higher or lower) is used.

AACOMAS example:

Biology I (Fall 2003): F, 4 credits
Biology I (Fall 2004): A, 4 credits
AACOMAS calculation: A, 4 credits

and

Biology I (Fall 2003): C, 4 credits
Biology II (Fall 2004): D, 4 credits
AACOMAS calculation: D, 4 credits

Regarding the certificate program you're considering, the way that it will affect your GPA will depend on whether it is composed of undergrad courses or graduate courses and how many courses count as science (biology, chemistry, physics, math for the MD application; biology, chemistry, physics for the DO application). If the courses are undergraduate-level, then the courses will be calculated in your undergrad numbers. If the courses are graduate-level, then the courses will be calculated in a separate section, Graduate, on the MD application. Therefore, this Graduate distinction can be bad (because it doesn't affect your undergrad numbers at all) or good (because it gives you a new slate, so you have another "new" GPA). I'm less familiar with how graduate grades play a role in the DO application. The path you should choose will depend on your existing academic record, your financial situation, and the time you're willing to spend to reach your goals.

There are a lot of enrichment/enhancement programs out there. Some help your undergrad numbers, some help prep for the MCAT, others are rigorous graduate programs that simulate the 1st year of med school, some are mixed undergrad-grad. These programs include one-year certificates, one-year master's degree programs, one-year certificates, one-year certificates with the option of staying an additional year for a master's degree, two-year masters programs, and the do-it-yourself method. The program that's best will vary from one individual to the next.

The more info you're willing to share, the more input you'll receive. :)

medanthgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2004
casa bonita
Status
Hi there,

I am/was in a bit of a similar situation as you, with less than stellar pre-reqs, so I have been taking one class a semester. For example, in undergrad I had a D in first semester physics, and a C in first semester chemistry and have now retaken both (while working at the same university full time in research) and got A's! It has the added advantage of refreshing and solidifying your knowledge for the MCAT too I think. I tackle a tension problem now with a lot more confidence than i ever would have 3 or 4 years ago. I plan on taking physics II this summer (to replace a C) and will probably leave the others alone (I got a Bs in 2nd semester chem, the year of O chem and got As bio).

I screwed up 2nd semester calc like nobody's business though, got an F, retook and got a D! my goodness. i can't figure out if i should even bother with that though.