Alternate career paths for LMFT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NamasteNikki

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all-

I’m new to the forum world and appreciate any and all feedback you may provide. My main question here involves alternate career paths for MFT Licensure but, first, a little background:

I graduated in 2009 with an MS in Counseling, Marriage and Family Therapy from Cal State Fullerton. I had a wonderful experience in grad school and, like most new therapists, was bright eyed and bushy tailed to gain hours and make a real difference. Prior to this, I had worked in special education for 3 years as a 1:1 aide and also as a substitute teacher while working my way through college, so I knew a little about getting my hands in the mix and working directly with children. Upon graduation, I worked for a year as a Behavior Therapist with kids on the autism spectrum, and further for another 3 years doing home based “Wraparound” therapy in LA County. Currently, I’m at a new agency providing a similar type of high-need, home-based services, and this agency is mediocre at best and unethical in its practices at worst.

Given this experience, at 29 years old, I feel completely and utterly burnt out. I see a personal therapist and attend conferences and eat well and exercise and I really do adore my clients and families I work with. However, the bureaucracy of managed care and the structure of non-profit agencies that reduce the work I share with clients into the most billable minutes is absolutely taking a toll on my psyche.

I recently passed the first state licensure exam (MFT Standard Written) and I’m confident I will pass the vignette within the next month or so. I spent most of my days driving between clients, seeing clients, and completing documentation, only to come home and spend another few hours scouring jobs on socialservice.com – jobs that, in all likelihood, will be very similar to the job I have now.

I’ve decided enough is enough, and given my next career step into licensure, combined with my nearly 10 years experience working with children and 5 of those in a clinical setting, I feel there’s got to be some other career path where I may be more effective and still maintain a sense of personal health and well-being. In all of your professional opinions, is private practice the way to go? I don’t see myself as a “sales” type of person, so this path is slightly anxiety inducing when considering marketing myself. Consulting? Management? QA? Life Coaching? I’ve even considered managing a DUI school as a means to generate income while I build a private practice. I’m open to any suggestions and very much appreciate being able to share here with honesty and integrity.

P.S. I don’t expect to be rich either: I’m not looking for six figures, only a career where I can continue to serve while also having some flexibility in career paths.

Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all-

I’m new to the forum world and appreciate any and all feedback you may provide. My main question here involves alternate career paths for MFT Licensure but, first, a little background:

I graduated in 2009 with an MS in Counseling, Marriage and Family Therapy from Cal State Fullerton. I had a wonderful experience in grad school and, like most new therapists, was bright eyed and bushy tailed to gain hours and make a real difference. Prior to this, I had worked in special education for 3 years as a 1:1 aide and also as a substitute teacher while working my way through college, so I knew a little about getting my hands in the mix and working directly with children. Upon graduation, I worked for a year as a Behavior Therapist with kids on the autism spectrum, and further for another 3 years doing home based “Wraparound” therapy in LA County. Currently, I’m at a new agency providing a similar type of high-need, home-based services, and this agency is mediocre at best and unethical in its practices at worst.

Given this experience, at 29 years old, I feel completely and utterly burnt out. I see a personal therapist and attend conferences and eat well and exercise and I really do adore my clients and families I work with. However, the bureaucracy of managed care and the structure of non-profit agencies that reduce the work I share with clients into the most billable minutes is absolutely taking a toll on my psyche.

I recently passed the first state licensure exam (MFT Standard Written) and I’m confident I will pass the vignette within the next month or so. I spent most of my days driving between clients, seeing clients, and completing documentation, only to come home and spend another few hours scouring jobs on socialservice.com – jobs that, in all likelihood, will be very similar to the job I have now.

I’ve decided enough is enough, and given my next career step into licensure, combined with my nearly 10 years experience working with children and 5 of those in a clinical setting, I feel there’s got to be some other career path where I may be more effective and still maintain a sense of personal health and well-being. In all of your professional opinions, is private practice the way to go? I don’t see myself as a “sales” type of person, so this path is slightly anxiety inducing when considering marketing myself. Consulting? Management? QA? Life Coaching? I’ve even considered managing a DUI school as a means to generate income while I build a private practice. I’m open to any suggestions and very much appreciate being able to share here with honesty and integrity.

P.S. I don’t expect to be rich either: I’m not looking for six figures, only a career where I can continue to serve while also having some flexibility in career paths.

Thank you all.
Contact Miranda Palmer. I think she is in Brea.