Alternate List??????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. E

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I ws placed on the alternate list at George Washington. I dont know what this means. Is this like a wait list? And if it is, how many people get accepted from the alternat list? Please help if you have any info.

Members don't see this ad.

Is that pre or post interview?

Usually an alternate list implies that they have extended (or plan to extend) all their spots. Then they rank everyone else, and as the "no thank yous" come in, they start offering positions to those on the alternate list. For the most part, numerous people get spots off an alternate list (like 20+, or I've even heard 40+ at some schools). Did they give you a specific number (ie You're 16th on the alternate list)? If you're in the top 20, I'd say you're golden. If you're lower than that, it just depends on the school. You could call and ask. I would think they would be very up front about this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Khenon said:
Usually an alternate list implies that they have extended (or plan to extend) all their spots. Then they rank everyone else, and as the "no thank yous" come in, they start offering positions to those on the alternate list. For the most part, numerous people get spots off an alternate list (like 20+, or I've even heard 40+ at some schools). Did they give you a specific number (ie You're 16th on the alternate list)? If you're in the top 20, I'd say you're golden. If you're lower than that, it just depends on the school. You could call and ask. I would think they would be very up front about this.
Its far to early to have a waitlist/alternate pool ranking as they will add to these through spring. Some schools have a top 1/3 or "likely to get in" region of the list where you may fall at this time.
Alt list = waitlist
just different names

YzIa said:
Its far to early to have a waitlist/alternate pool ranking as they will add to these through spring. Some schools have a top 1/3 or "likely to get in" region of the list where you may fall at this time.
Alt list = waitlist
just different names

Hmm. I suppose each school is different. When I was on an alternate list (years ago) it was as I described above. To the OP, again, I'd call if you're in doubt. I'm confident they would explain exactly what they mean. Good luck!

I received the same letter. I still think that its not quite the same as a wait list because they get in touch again in february. I think that they will interview more people and review the alternate list to compare it to future interviewee's before they round out the first class. So its a waitlist but not the traditional type- that gets used in May. Therefore, i doubt they have numbered the list. But this is just my best guess...

Sorry...it is the same as the waitlist. GW accepts about 750 people every year to fill their class. Call and ask how many people in the current classes came from the waitlist ("alternate list") - that'll help you know.

klp14 said:
Is that pre or post interview?
It was post interview. If they accept 750, I hope i am at least number 749 :oops:

patzan said:
Sorry...it is the same as the waitlist. GW accepts about 750 people every year to fill their class. Call and ask how many people in the current classes came from the waitlist ("alternate list") - that'll help you know.

750? Jeez...where did you get that number? I just interviewed there this week and they said during the information session that they accept twice the size of their entering class (~330). If they were to take 750, they would take 3/4 of the interviewing pool. That doesn't sound at all realistic.

patzan said:

Whoaa... 750? According to USNews, they accepted 402 out of 1128 interviewed.

bigbassinbob said:
Whoaa... 750? According to USNews, they accepted 402 out of 1128 interviewed.
402 is much more reasonable for a private non name school.

US news is probably more accurate. I spoke with the asst. Dean of Admissions last year. That's what I remember, but maybe I don't remember accurately. All the same, those other numbers are all high.