• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Alternate List??????

Khenon

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
Rochester, MN
    Usually an alternate list implies that they have extended (or plan to extend) all their spots. Then they rank everyone else, and as the "no thank yous" come in, they start offering positions to those on the alternate list. For the most part, numerous people get spots off an alternate list (like 20+, or I've even heard 40+ at some schools). Did they give you a specific number (ie You're 16th on the alternate list)? If you're in the top 20, I'd say you're golden. If you're lower than that, it just depends on the school. You could call and ask. I would think they would be very up front about this.

About the Ads

YzIa

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Jul 16, 2004
      Khenon said:
      Usually an alternate list implies that they have extended (or plan to extend) all their spots. Then they rank everyone else, and as the "no thank yous" come in, they start offering positions to those on the alternate list. For the most part, numerous people get spots off an alternate list (like 20+, or I've even heard 40+ at some schools). Did they give you a specific number (ie You're 16th on the alternate list)? If you're in the top 20, I'd say you're golden. If you're lower than that, it just depends on the school. You could call and ask. I would think they would be very up front about this.
      Its far to early to have a waitlist/alternate pool ranking as they will add to these through spring. Some schools have a top 1/3 or "likely to get in" region of the list where you may fall at this time.
      Alt list = waitlist
      just different names

Khenon

1K Member
      10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Sep 30, 2004
      Rochester, MN
        YzIa said:
        Its far to early to have a waitlist/alternate pool ranking as they will add to these through spring. Some schools have a top 1/3 or "likely to get in" region of the list where you may fall at this time.
        Alt list = waitlist
        just different names

Hmm. I suppose each school is different. When I was on an alternate list (years ago) it was as I described above. To the OP, again, I'd call if you're in doubt. I'm confident they would explain exactly what they mean. Good luck!

mumpers

10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Oct 18, 2004
          I received the same letter. I still think that its not quite the same as a wait list because they get in touch again in february. I think that they will interview more people and review the alternate list to compare it to future interviewee's before they round out the first class. So its a waitlist but not the traditional type- that gets used in May. Therefore, i doubt they have numbered the list. But this is just my best guess...

coincidental

10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          May 31, 2004
            patzan said:
            Sorry...it is the same as the waitlist. GW accepts about 750 people every year to fill their class. Call and ask how many people in the current classes came from the waitlist ("alternate list") - that'll help you know.

750? Jeez...where did you get that number? I just interviewed there this week and they said during the information session that they accept twice the size of their entering class (~330). If they were to take 750, they would take 3/4 of the interviewing pool. That doesn't sound at all realistic.

bigbassinbob

10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Apr 20, 2004
            1. Medical Student
              patzan said:
              Sorry...it is the same as the waitlist. GW accepts about 750 people every year to fill their class. Call and ask how many people in the current classes came from the waitlist ("alternate list") - that'll help you know.

Whoaa... 750? According to USNews, they accepted 402 out of 1128 interviewed.

About the Ads
              This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.