Alternate List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CroakerSoaker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found out today that i have been place on the alternate list for University of South Alabama. The letter states that last year, 20 of 38 students on the alternate list were offered a spot in the program. This year 28 students are on the list.
I really, really liked this school; out of the 4 schools i interviewed at it was probably my favorite. The faculty was awesome, the students were great, tuition is very affordable, program has great reputation, and it is close to home. Yesterday, I found out i have been accepted to the University of St. Augustine, and while it is also a great school with a reputation for producing fantastic therapists it is significantly more expensive (a difference of more than 40k). My question is what would you do if you found yourself in my position? Anyone else been had this dilemma before?

Members don't see this ad.

I would go ahead and make plans to attend the school you were accepted to. You would be incredibly upset if you were to invest all of your hopes into a school that you are an alternate on, and didn't end up getting accepted. But in your situation, I would go ahead and send in the deposit to reserve a spot and if the other school did, indeed decide to give you a call then you would act accordingly. It sucks because you could lose out on a couple hundred dollars, but c'est la vie. This way you guarantee you get in to school while leaving open the option to attend the program you really want.

It would be better to pay the $200-$600 deposit to hold your spot in the program, and then wait to find out if you get in the other school on the waitlist. $40K is a lot of money, and if I was you, I would try my hardest to attend the cheaper program.

I agree..pay the deposit at st augustine..its 500$ i just payed it..the way i see it is..there both great school either way your going to end up being a physical therapist and get a great education the 40$k wont matter in the end as long as your doing what you want!..and which campus did you get into?..san diego?..because yes it is extremely more expensive but your living miles away from the beach and we have one of the highest starting salaries in the country here so it will make up for the 40k!!..good luck..i start in may so maybe i will see you areound!:)