alternate list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc4432

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received a letter today saying that I was placed on an alternate list... what exactly does this mean?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It's another way to say "waitlisted." Schools will try to fill their classes with accepted students and if they haven't by the time they complete an interview cycle they begin to pull students from the list. Some schools only have one "cycle" per year, others will dip into the list more than once a year, like LECOM-B does in Dec. Many schools will rank their waitlist, giving you a number, 1 being the best, or high/mid/low, high being the best. You can still update with things you do such as grades, additional LORs or volunteer work. They may not get you off the list on their own but can certainly help.

It's another way to say "waitlisted." Schools will try to fill their classes with accepted students and if they haven't by the time they complete an interview cycle they begin to pull students from the list. Some schools only have one "cycle" per year, others will dip into the list more than once a year, like LECOM-B does in Dec. Many schools will rank their waitlist, giving you a number, 1 being the best, or high/mid/low, high being the best. You can still update with things you do such as grades, additional LORs or volunteer work. They may not get you off the list on their own but can certainly help.

will they give me my number if i call and ask? (it was lecom b) so i can expect to hear in december? i have read about sending letter of intents.. what exactly is that and who would i send it to?

google letter of intent and you should find some examples.

but a letter of intent is a letter saying that you will attend that school should you be offered a position in their class. it is a chance for you to say why you shoudl be picke doff the aitlist and not others as well as why you like the school. it lets them know that they are your top choice so you really should only send it if the school is your top choice.

good luck...waiting stinks i know