alternate med school paths

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwilber

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello what alternate, less competitive paths are there to get into med school or another related field such as optometry, podiatry, or in a dental field?

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you just want to take the easy way out. Medicine probably isn't for you if that's the case.

Reactions: 5 users
A lot of people say getting into med school is the hardest part. You can always go for the lowest ranked school but don't mean you'll get in either. You have to work hard for medicine if you want an easy path go become a Nurse.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There are BS/MD and BS/DO programs (not sure if you are a high schooler or not). Some programs offer a guaranteed acceptance if you follow their guidelines. I'm not sure how many of these programs exist, but it is something you will have to search for online. Anyways, there are a few ways to matriculate into a program without fighting through the trenches of the regular MD/DO path (it is still going to be tough). I would start reaearching schools that interest you and determine if they offer something like this. Good luck, OP.

As for Podiatry, Dentistry, etc... Not a single clue.

There are no alternative paths to medicine.

There are paths alternative to medicine.

Reactions: 14 users
Hello what alternate, less competitive paths are there to get into med school or another related field such as optometry, podiatry, or in a dental field?
Podiatric schools also use MCAT and GPA to assess candidates, but have lower parameters for success. Optometry and dentistry use different assessment tests.

SDN also has forums for these fields where you can acquaint yourself with other components needed for a successful application.

Reactions: 4 users
There is. The carribean is one.

Op... Please, no.

man_file_1056136_chubbykidsfilm5.jpg

Promise me you won't do that! Use ALL other options. You got me? Cool.

Edit:Grammar

Last edited:
A lot of people say getting into med school is the hardest part. You can always go for the lowest ranked school but don't mean you'll get in either. You have to work hard for medicine if you want an easy path go become a Nurse.

are you not in high school? you're spitting a lot of fire on these forums for someone who doesn't know anything. next time say something more contructive instead of bashing nursing like you know anything about the path

Members don't see this ad :)
Nursing is not an option listed above. So you're point is irrelevant.

This person is clearly new to SDN, because we all know you do not talk like that to Goro or Catalystik! :eek:

Also, if I had a dime for every time someone misspelled the Caribbean, I'd probably have enough to pay my med school tuition... :whistle:

are you not in high school? you're spitting a lot of fire on these forums for someone who doesn't know anything. next time say something more contructive instead of bashing nursing like you know anything about the path

OP is a troll and no I'm not in high school it's not hard to get into nursing I have a ton of friends in the field it's easier to get into nursing rather than med school and that is a fact so before you freak out because I'm "spitting fire" take in account that OP isn't asking serious questions trying to get reactions. I will not take back my comment either because it's true.

Reactions: 2 users
Let's just report this person and move on :p

Bro chill, OP is just askin a question. No need to get hyped up.

For the OP, try Drexel. I know that have a post-bac, which even though is still competitive to get in, it is an alternative route for you to take. Best of luck man.
OP asked a question, and then lashed out at SDNers giving realistic answers. We do do not suffer this type of pathology lightly.

OP asked a question, and then lashed out at SDNers giving realistic answers. We do do not suffer this type of pathology lightly.

Hey just stop making a big deal about this. OP will just keep lashing and so will everyone. Can everyone just move on please?

OP, if you're looking for the easy path, medicine is not for you. That being said, there are many paths to medicine of varying levels of exceptional challenge. There are also many other allied health professions. I suggest searching the forum to learn more about the similarities and differences between MD and DO, the many reasons why Caribbean schools are a devil's bargain, and checking out the other subforums for info about other professions as @Catalystik recommended.

Last edited:
There is absolutely a less competitive path to med school, and it's regional/state/school bias.

Some schools reserve a certain % of their med school class for their own undergrad students, which is a huge bonus. As well some states have it much easier than others when it comes to state spots dedicated to state students. Find a way to hit all the biases and you'd definitely be on a less competitive path compared to many others.

Just read more carefully and realized the OP is the same one who made the inflammatory Caribbean comment.
:troll:

There is. The carribean is one.

OP is obviously a troll, but for anyone out there lurking (I see you hSDNers) The Carib is actually one of the hardest routes into medicine.

Status
Not open for further replies.