Alternate status for Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pitbull lover

CSU Class of 2014
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just received my letter from Western stating that I have been selected as an alternate. This is better news than a rejection letter.

Does anyone know the statistics of getting in? Are there any alternates out there that got in last year?

Also, does anyone know if Western ranks their alternates or just picks from a pool?

Members don't see this ad.

i was told that they moved through most of the waiting list last year. i believe they sent out about 170 offers this year, and 306 were interviewed. i'm sure a good number of people will turn down western based on the accreditation status and the like.

i remember hearing that alternates have a really good chance at western, and that all previous years (except last year) they ended up accepting all the alternates...last year they didn't get thru ALL the alternates. the alternates are not ranked, but instead chosen based on diversity...like if a male declines the acceptance, then they will choose a male alternate...or based on race, feield of interest, etc.

good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I was an alternate last year. And I was not pulled from the pool. What happens is almost exactly what Swcs reported. You'll get picked if and only if some one like you declines a spot. So if you're like me, white, female, east coast, mainly SA experiance, 23, etc... your chances are low becuase statsitically with pre-vets I'm a dime a dozen.

There are things you can do now to improve your chances though. They always accept updated information and specificaly updated CVs. So if you were to say go volenteer this spring with black bears, or get a unique experiance, or expand your exeperiance you will greatly improve your odds. If found out that tidbit at my re-applicate interview via phone mid-summer. I hadn't known they got through most of the list last year... that depresses me even though I'm going to school in July. Wow I love that program.

Good luck. If you can try and be unique.

thats good info to hear bubbles. i'm not sure if they got thru alot of their waitlist last year...thats kind of what it sounded like via a current student there who heard from some professor or something..so it could be true or not...i think now that western is graduating its first class and its hopes of full accreditation gets nearer, more ppl will be less reluctant to decline their acceptance based on that factor. but the ppl at interview day seemed to say this time that a good majority of waitlist do get it. western has a very interesting curriculum/program, i really liked it when i went there, good luck everyone.

Got my waitlist letter today (3/19) via snail mail from Western.
The letter specifies that alternates are not ranked & each alternate is considered as an opening occurs. (perhaps for diversity-to choose someone similar to the person who declined as Bubbles said) The letter also stated we might be offered a seat anytime from mid April to Aug. but cannot predict our chance for admission. The letter contained a form to return declaring whether we accept/reject our alternate status.
It's going to be a long time from April to August.

Yeah, I'm alternate too. Definately better than rejection! Does anyone know if they rejected anyone post-interview? If they flatout accept 170 people, and only interviewed 306, does that mean that there are 136 on the wait list? I feel like that could be too many, but does anyone know anything about this?

Also, twosoakers, are you still reading this thread? Anyway, where'd you get those stats you posted (the ones that I just mentioned)?

Before we began the PBL exercise after lunch, I expressed my concerns about getting in to one of the profs, considering the odds. He told me that they invited 306 to interview. I'm sure some declined the interview. Then he told me that they send out around 170 invites, of which I'm guessing they expect arond 70 to decline, since the class seats 100. Also, those who did not pass the interview (of the 136 others) would also be rejected. So you passed the interview. I doubt there's 130 students on the waiting list.

Thanks!!! Wow, I feel better knowing I at least passed the interview, thanks for that tidbit too! I'm trying to decide if I want to call the admissions office and ask how many are on the alternate list...

Oh, and twosoakers, I think we're about to break the record for the highest number of posts in the smallest amount of time...subscription with instant email notification + Eudora that makes noise when ever I get email = lots of checking and posting!

Does anyone know any other Western threads besides this one and the that's called Western University (or something similar)?

Good luck to everyone who's also waitlisted!!!!

haha That's because I'm sitting here studying for my histo exam. Kidneys, Urogenital Systems, and Caruncles, oh my!

I would contact your admissions counselor to find out. I have Annette Shumway, who is very very nice (and patient).