Alternates for an IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indiadoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all !
I'm a fresh MBBS graduate from India.I was considering giving the USMLE but after seeing how hard it is (not the exam but the chance of getting a residency) i have decided to have a backup ready as well.
So can someone please point me to a source (webpage etc) where i can find the alternative careers. I definately dont want to deviate much from the healthcare field,though.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

indiadoc said:
Hi all !
I'm a fresh MBBS graduate from India.I was considering giving the USMLE but after seeing how hard it is (not the exam but the chance of getting a residency) i have decided to have a backup ready as well.
So can someone please point me to a source (webpage etc) where i can find the alternative careers. I definately dont want to deviate much from the healthcare field,though.

Stay in India where you can practice?

I’m just curious, which specialty are you thinking about going into? Specialties like family med, IM, and psyc tend to have decent IMG match success rates. I can see how specialties like orthopaedics or ENT could have you searching for backup plans.

Members don't see this ad :)
My primary interest is in paediatrics.
I was thinking in terms of an MBA as a backup or even perhaps something like law (if there is any course specifically related to medicine).But like I said this is a only as a backup i.e i dont get a good residency (or any at all).
What is the scope of these fields ? Where can i find the relevant information ?

Thanks

indiadoc said:
My primary interest is in paediatrics.
I was thinking in terms of an MBA as a backup or even perhaps something like law (if there is any course specifically related to medicine).But like I said this is a only as a backup i.e i dont get a good residency (or any at all).
What is the scope of these fields ? Where can i find the relevant information ?

Thanks

one of my housemates is an mbbs from india applying to peds. she's been to 12 interviews and 4 of them were at very good schools. admittedly, you need better step 1, 2 #'s than us grads, but it can be done.

good luck!

hey man,
how about getting an MPH or DrPH? I am an MPH student (not MD student) and know some doctors with these degrees. Public Health programs usually are more involved in administrative duties such as writing grants, program-planning and evaluation, and also in research (clinical or otehr research). I am in love with public health, but of course people have different preferences, skills, and goals.

indiadoc said:
Hi all !

Thanks