Alternates List Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JGilbert

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how good are the chances of getting last minute acceptances as an alternate? LSU doesn't give out your ranking on the list, so I have no clue where I stand, but I didn't know if it was common for people to turn down the school at the last second. My cousin's friend got accepted to Shreveport one week into the school year, and I didn't know if things like that were common. The same goes with Tulane's ACP program....I got put on an alternate list, which the woman said there were 4 other people. I haven't heard anything back from either school in a while, and each one had said that I'd be hearing back early July. I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to be doing, but it's hard not having the slightest clue what the chances of being in school are.

Also, should I go ahead and send in the AMCAS for next year now? Will that have any bearing on my present status? Other than financial reasons, I can't see why it would, but I'd rather have some reassurance. Any help is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same boat as you are. I am on the waitlist at WVU, and don't know if I should go ahead and send the AMCAS or wait for their final answer. I called them this morning and they told me that last year they had to call people last minute. Maybe, you can get a better idea by calling them and asking them what has happened in the previous years...not to say that the same thing will happen this year...but atleast you get somewhat of an idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
GujuMD said:
I am in the same boat as you are. I am on the waitlist at WVU, and don't know if I should go ahead and send the AMCAS or wait for their final answer. I called them this morning and they told me that last year they had to call people last minute. Maybe, you can get a better idea by calling them and asking them what has happened in the previous years...not to say that the same thing will happen this year...but atleast you get somewhat of an idea.

I would send your AMCAS and only add a few schools just to get the verification process started and to save you money if you happen to get accepted as an alternate. If you get in off of the alternate list, then it's no big deal. If you don't, then you have a headstart on your applications for the next cycle and then you can add the remaining schools without waiting for verification. Best of luck to you.

My answer to both of you is to go ahead and start your application process for the next round...ASAP. Yes, crazy miracles have been known to happen at the last minute. I have heard stories of people getting pulled off lists at orientation, etc (every school tells you about these to make you feel better about your situation), but I think they are relatively rare occurances. This year has also been a terrible year for waitlists. I was accepted to NYMC, but waitlisted at 5 other schools. I was told that I was in the top 10 at one, and the top 25 at another (both of which have a history of taking a lot of people), and never heard anything. I am sorry that you guys had such crummy luck this round, but I think it would be in your best interest to start again, and get your stuff in as early as you can. Best of luck.