Alternative Careers in Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wisconsindoctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you think about the following careers?

- Pathologists Assistant: salary around $60k - $100k

- Cardiovascular Perfusion

- Physical therapist

- Radiation therapist

- medical illustrator

- medical librarian

Of the careers listed above, i think a career as a pathologist assistant would be the best. Once could work in the clinic and still be involved with research.

Members don't see this ad.

There is no such thing as a "best" career. The best careers for an individual are the ones that best fit his interests, abilities, training, lifestyle choices, and are available. The list and its length will vary from person to person.

Those are not careers in MEDICINE. Medicine is the profession practiced by physicians, people who hold an M.D. or D.O. degree and a MEDICAL license. A career in physical therapy is a career in physical therapy, not an alternative career in medicine.

Scope creep of the word "medicine" is one of the ways midlevels are taking over--and something naive med students are usually complicit in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those are not careers in MEDICINE. Medicine is the profession practiced by physicians, people who hold an M.D. or D.O. degree and a MEDICAL license. A career in physical therapy is a career in physical therapy, not an alternative career in medicine.

Scope creep of the word "medicine" is one of the ways midlevels are taking over--and something naive med students are usually complicit in.

What other term would be could to use when refering to a career within a certain area? I know allied health careers is used often. Maybe I should have just used that term instead. Sorry.

Nah...I prefer medicine itself.

For another list on alternative careers in medicine, check out the current feature article on SDN by Dr. Kim that documents other non-clinical careers for docs. I think there's a list of about 8 and all of them are quite interesting alternatives to the traditional practice of medicine.